api rate limit exceeded

Erik Magness

Aug 31, 2022, 8:42:18 AM8/31/22
to PuzzleScript
got this message today
API rate limit exceeded for 50.206.82.2. (But here's the good news: Authenticated requests get a higher rate limit. Check out the documentation for more details.)

how do I solve this?
thanks
btw there are 16 of us in a high school class using puzzlescript to design games and it kicked in after about 20 minutes of use

Chris Pickel

Aug 31, 2022, 9:26:18 AM8/31/22
to Erik Magness, PuzzleScript
Was this on the play.html page?

PuzzleScript games are stored on github.com. GitHub thought you were loading too many games for one person, and couldn’t tell that the students in the class were different people. There’s a workaround I think you could use:
  1. Get the ID after “p=” from the address: https://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=8ba10d6a0a5a0edd640e0b9431858259
  2. Paste it after gist.github.comhttps://gist.github.com/8ba10d6a0a5a0edd640e0b9431858259
  3. Copy the script
  4. Paste the script into https://www.puzzlescript.net/editor.html
If you’re seeing the error on the edit page, I’m not sure. I don’t think it should affect saving or loading from the menu, just opening and publishing.

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any attachments to it contain confidential and proprietary material of Villa Maria Academy,and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed.

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 31, 2022, 9:30:39 AM8/31/22
to Chris Pickel, Erik Magness, PuzzleScript
Hey, thanks for the report.  I tried to understand the GitHub authentication system before - but it's really opaque what the benefits exactly are. I am currently visiting relatives until next the 8th so I can't look into this properly until then very likely :( I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing :(

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 31, 2022, 9:31:44 AM8/31/22
to Chris Pickel, Erik Magness, PuzzleScript
(If anyone else can look into this and figure out the GitHub api usage possibilities that would be much appreciated - but failing that I'll do it when I get back)

Chris Pickel

Aug 31, 2022, 10:46:18 AM8/31/22
to Stephen Lavelle, Erik Magness, PuzzleScript
I’m not sure what the best way to use GitHub APIs here is. In the player, PuzzleScript doesn’t want to ask users to sign in to GitHub.
Users do sign in to the editor for the Share button. If the user signed in there, the player could piggyback on that token, but it’s not ideal.
Oh. It looks like you tried this in the past (#606), but reverted it later because it didn’t properly handle expired tokens (#689).
I could take a look at that another time. I assume the Share button deals with expired tokens (or if it doesn’t, it should too).

You could have the player prompt for sign-in when the rate limit error occurs…annoying but more discoverable than the editor.

Chris Pickel

Sep 4, 2022, 11:29:05 AM9/4/22
to Stephen Lavelle, Erik Magness, PuzzleScript
I had a go at this and sent #936.

It’s currently published at sfiera.github.io/PuzzleScript. If you get rate limit errors, you could try signing into its editor and using a play link from that site instead: https://sfiera.github.io/PuzzleScript/play.html?p=8ba10d6a0a5a0edd640e0b9431858259

FYI, the anonymous rate limit is 50 loads/hour, which explains how quickly you hit it with 20 students. The authenticated limit is 5000/hour. You might be fine sharing one account among all the students (250 loads/student/hour).

Stephen Lavelle

Sep 4, 2022, 4:13:36 PM9/4/22
to Chris Pickel, Erik Magness, PuzzleScript
Oh gosh thanks.  I'll look into this probably when I get back to Germany :)