Ian Gillan - Solidarity of Arts - 22 August 2009

deepestman

Sep 30, 2009, 8:43:50 AM9/30/09
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Ian Gillan – Solidarity of Arts – Strange This World Is

Gdansk, Targ Weglowy

The memorable and warm late summer day of 22 August 2009 was my first
encounter of Ian’s performance with orchestra. Before I get to the
main point let me tell you a thing or two about the Solidarity of Arts
Festival.

During the communist period the ‘Solidaronosc’ ('solidarity' in
English) movement was the only opposition to the communist oppressors
in Poland. I do not want to sound politically involved here but the
freedom oriented movement and its little uprisings was the main
trigger of the social and cultural changes in the 1970’s and 1980’s
which in consequence led to the fall of communism in Poland. This year
we have been celebrating the twenty year period without communism,
though we have another oppressors (European Union), things have really
changed for the better. And that is why the festival was granted the
name of ‘Solidarnosc’. It is also about the dialogue between various
arts (movie, theatre, and music) and different musical styles (we have
witnessed reggae, pop, punk, rock and classical interpretation of Deep
Purple hits that night). In the opinions of the organizers the
dialogue between arts and styles is supposed to lead to some
indeterminable freedom. Sadly just after the twenty years everything
devalued and it is a pity that some of the organizers stem from
communist party…

Enough about politics. Before the concert Ian was invited to do a hand
pressing in Gdansk’s ‘Alley of the Stars’. It was very kind of the
people who came up with such an idea to invite him. If anyone from
behind ‘The Iron Curtian’ is responsible through his art for the fall
of communism in Poland it surely is Ian Gillan and his trademark
vocals, particularly in ‘Child In Time’. This song was often spurring
people to action and to rebellion against the Soviet puppets.

The whole concert was named after the song title of Czeslaw Niemen –
‘Strange This World Is’. Targ Weglowy which is a part of Gdansk’s Old
Town was the venue the concert took place in. A very picturesque place
with lots of old time buldings fit for the show perfectly. I was not
particularly impressed with the performances from Lech Janerka, Nina
Hagen, Tosh Meets Marley, and Myslovitz. In my opinion the festival
should have two separate stages. One destined for the lesser
performers and the other for the main star. And Ian was a star that
evening. A star that shone brightly with his vocals, charisma and
stage presence. One minor incident that pissed me off was when the
organizer introducing Ian pronounced his first name incorrectly /
aian/. For Christ’s sake. I understand he might have not known Ian
before the show, but he should have at least learn the proper
pronunciation of his first name. The Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra
started with a fantastic overture which just kept the emotions inside
before Ian took the stage with ‘Highway Star’. From the first seconds
you could know his performance is going to be memorable because he
sounded fantastic and had fun on stage. Purple evergreens played only
with orchestral arrangements are different. For me they are not that
persuasive as when sang with the proper rock band (the only Deep
Purple), yet the songs sound somewhat more distinctly. So I immensely
enjoyed Ian’s show. For the first seconds I could not get used to the
fact that I lack guitar and keyboards there, but as long as Ian was on
stage he helped me forget it and allowed the music to travel into a
different dimension which in turn unveiled the kamasustra of sounds
for my ears. Trumpets here, violin there. Saxophone here, cello there.
You catch my drift? ‘Strange Kind of Woman’ followed and I was already
in Gillan’s heaven. It is really breathtaking how his voice is able to
work miracles in orchestral environment. When you add to it the fun he
took out of being on stage, his interaction with fans you have the
best artist on the face of the planet. ‘Woman From Tokyo’ was really
fantastic, especially the middle section which sounded very different
from the rock one. Apart from the classical three we got ‘Ted The
Mechanic’ in which horn section brought back the sound from Concerto
tour. Again Ian proved his fantastic shape here. ‘Pictures of Home’
gave the Orchestra room to make their stamp on a Purple song. And they
did it. This song can easily be performed without a rock band. With
orchestra it retains its uplifting character but benefits from various
sounds of instruments wrapped around the main melody. We also got
‘Perfect Strangers’ and ‘When a Blind Man Cries’ which were highlights
of the show. I know I will repeat myself here, but I strongly believe
Ian’s mature timbre expresses more emotions in those compositions now
than ever. He sang them with a great feel. I was standing and
recording with awe and admiration. Ian’s performance combined with
orchestra surrounded the songs with certain aura. I am not able to
fully express here what I felt that night. Magic? Probably. Yet there
was something I cherished more. It was ‘No Lotion for That’. I was
sure before the show he was going to prepare a surprise for his fans
and so he did. Great performance from Ian as well as the Orchestra and
I did not even mind that majority of the people around me were
standing with ‘wtf’ expression on their blank faces. It was Ian at his
best, believe me. ‘Black Night’ and ‘Smoke on the Water’ were the pair
closing the show. We hummed Black Night and sang Smoke with Ian. He
was content with our assistance and let as sang a second or two. After
that the show was over. Before the orchestra went off stage the
firework makers faked an air raid and blew up several air bombs into
the audience. Now I was standing with a ‘wtf’ expression on my blank
face. Then out of my ignorance I came to conclusion 2009 is the 60th
Anniversary of WW II break up. Great ending of a fantastic show.
Forgot to mention Ian was treated to a birthday cake on stage and
given a rose or two from the audience.

I do not know what to write in the conclusion. First of all I would
like to thank Ian for the amazing show, superb singing and undeniable
charisma. I would like to thank him that he is with us Poles in 2009,
a year that is somehow significant to us. A year when we are finding
ourselves and thinking about those people who suffered for his art,
which has always been freedom. The show was the experience I will
always cherish and keep in my heart till the day I die.