greatest live rock album of all time

Russ

Nov 15, 2006, 10:08:09 PM11/15/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
I consider Made in Japan the greatest live rock album of all time, but
apparently some people think Live at Leeds by the Who has it beat. I
like the Who, but I simply cannot put Leeds in the same league with
MIJ. What do you think?

Axe Man

Nov 15, 2006, 10:18:37 PM11/15/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Totally agree with you, Russ. Perhaps
one other live album that fits into
your category is Kiss ALIVE....
for its impact.

Russ

Nov 15, 2006, 11:13:20 PM11/15/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Can't say I've ever even heard KISS ALIVE, but I was certainly never
impressed by what little I heard of KISS on the radio eons ago. I'd put
them at the opposite end of the talent spectrum from DP. Ditto for
Black Sabbath, by the way. I've always been a bit annoyed at how people
tend to group Black Sabbath and DP together because they both played
loud and they both had a color in their name (is black a color -- or
the lack of color?). Now if you want me to say something nice about
someone other than DP, I think Jethro Tull was very talented.

Axe Man

Nov 16, 2006, 10:50:00 AM11/16/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Oh no, Russ. I wasn't comparing KISS
musically with Deep Purple ! Just the
' impact ' of those two live albums on
the R&R audience......Another may be
FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE.

But MIJ truly illustrated how talented
and innovative Purple was compared
to their studio efforts, which were also
innovative in parts for that era. Like
you, I believe MIJ set the standard :-)

Russ

Nov 17, 2006, 12:01:49 AM11/17/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE -- now there's one I can do without!

Axe Man

Nov 17, 2006, 12:42:33 AM11/17/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Again.....I was talking ' impact ' and
not content :-)

Russ

Dec 10, 2006, 6:21:30 PM12/10/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Occasionally I take a peek over at the former DP newsgroup, and once in
a blue moon I actually find something about DP.

I just noticed that a Dutch rock magazine called Revolver has Made in
Japan listed as the best live album ever, based on a reader poll. Live
at Leeds is number three. I wasn't able to find the story for myself,
but I'll believe it. Excellent choice!

Too bad the post will soon be buried in garbage over there.

Russ

Dec 11, 2006, 3:06:45 PM12/11/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
25. Genesis - Seconds Out
24. U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky
23. Roger Waters - In The Flesh
22. ACDC - If You Want Blood
21. Neil Young - Live Rust
20. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
19. Golden Earring - Live
18. Humble Pie - Performance_Rockin' The Fillmore
17. Iron Maiden - Live After Death
16. Kiss - Alive II
15. Yes - Yessongs
14. Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
13. Motörhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
12. Lou Reed - Rock 'n' Roll Animal
11. UFO - Strangers In The Night
10. The Doors - Absolutely Live
09. Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 1974
08. Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys
07. Pink Floyd - P.U.L.S.E.
06. Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous
05. The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya-Ya's Out
04. Kiss - Alive
03. The Who - Live At Leeds
02. The Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East
01. TADAAAAAAAAAA DP - MIJ

A glaring omission just ocurred to me. Where the hell is

Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet or on Your Knees!

Jos Herni

Dec 11, 2006, 5:06:18 PM12/11/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com
And what about Ten Years After - Recorded Live? ;-)

Russ schreef:

--
/Jos

Herrie van Herni: http://www.herni.net
Linux op mijn desktop: http://www.digiplace.nl

Axe Man

Dec 11, 2006, 5:13:15 PM12/11/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

All good :-)

How about Rainbow's ON STAGE ?

Russ

Dec 11, 2006, 5:25:18 PM12/11/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
I haven't heard that whole album, but the live version of Goin' Home
was friggin' incredible. I should get the album.

Whatever happened to Alvin Lee anyway? I haven't heard anything from
him or about him for decades. Is he still around?

Russ

Dec 11, 2006, 6:46:52 PM12/11/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page

> How about Rainbow's ON STAGE ?

If I recall correctly, that's the one that starts with "Kill the King"
and ends with "Still I'm Sad." Yes, that would be in my list too. I
just love that start, with Judy Garland's "Over the Rainbow" morphing
into Blackmore's crashing guitar.

The only disappointment I have with that album is that the recording
quality doesn't seem to be as sharp as it should be. During "Kill the
King," I find myself trying too much to imagine what it *should* sound
like based on the studio version. I wish it could be cleaned up and
repackaged.

Axe Man

Dec 11, 2006, 7:01:13 PM12/11/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Yeah. I agree....and I heard Kill
the King first on ON STAGE. That
song was released on the subsequnt
album, LLRR, chronologically....
as you know.

Russ

Dec 11, 2006, 10:10:32 PM12/11/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Hey, while we're on the nostalgia trip, how about the J. Geils Band,
Live Full House, featuring Whammer Jammer and Hard Drivin' Man! Now
those guys could rock the house off its foundation!

Axe Man

Dec 12, 2006, 1:13:16 PM12/12/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Sadly, the J Geils Band is one I have
never been able to give a serious listen
to. What I have heard I liked.

Speaking of live albums, I think an
overlooked classic is Skynyrd's ONE
MORE FROM THE ROAD. Surprisingly,
it's almost never mentioned.

Russ

Dec 12, 2006, 3:43:13 PM12/12/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
J. Geils and Blue Oyster Cult have one thing in common that I find
interesting. They were both huge "underground" bands with almost
cult-like followings before they really broke into the "mainstream."
And in both cases, the cuts you hear on the radio now are their big
hits from *after* their "underground" days.

For J. Geils, you hear "Freeze Frame" and "Centerfold," but you never
hear their earlier stuff even though some of it is excellent.
Similarly, for the Cult, you hear "Don't Fear the Reaper," "Burning for
You," "Godzilla," and perhaps a couple others, but you never hear "Hot
Rails To Hell" and their many other old classics. I don't know why,
unless those older jams are just considered too "hard core."

I can guarantee though, that you won't be disappointed with J. Geils
"Live Full House."

Wog George

Dec 16, 2006, 6:09:37 AM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page

Russ wrote:
> Occasionally I take a peek over at the former DP newsgroup, and once in
> a blue moon I actually find something about DP.
>
> I just noticed that a Dutch rock magazine called Revolver has Made in
> Japan listed as the best live album ever, based on a reader poll. Live
> at Leeds is number three. I wasn't able to find the story for myself,
> but I'll believe it. Excellent choice!

Made In Japan is very fortunate to be the brilliant work that it is.
None of the three nights was particularly great on its own, but across
the three nights they had a great performance of each song to draw on
to put the double album together. Still the best ever? It's hard to
disagree.

> Too bad the post will soon be buried in garbage over there.

That's an interesting and, unfortunately, accurate statement, but have
you noticed who one of the main players of that game is? Can you think
of someone purporting to be a Deep Purple fan, yet they avoid nearly
every on-topic thread so that they can reply to Scott and his ilk?

Perhaps Mr Axe Man should stop pissing in the amd-p pond, lest someone
shit in the DPFP nest.

--
George
"We'll still kick Tubby's Ass on AMDP !!!!" - Axe Man (aka The

Axe_...@webtv.net

Dec 16, 2006, 1:01:59 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Sorry Woggie...I have total editorial control of this site, unlike
am-dp where no one has. On this site anybody can write anything they
wish as long as it
corresponds to the expressed purpose of this group.

Yes, occasionally I go after Scott Lifshine on am-dp and that is
BECAUSE he does not respect the expressed purpose of that once great
site. Perhaps I have done so ' inappropriately ', but
he PISSES ME OFF and the ' regulars
do NOTHING about him.

And that's why this site was created, by a Deep Purple fan, for Deep
Purple fans !

Axe_...@webtv.net

Dec 16, 2006, 1:38:52 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
And I only had to use that editorial ' power ' once...just ONE time,
since this site originated, Woggie.

I have found that Deep Purple fans are very thoughtful, intelligent,
and quite creative.

Pogue Mahone

Dec 16, 2006, 3:58:53 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page

It's very difficult to shoot a moving target. You won't know who is
friend and who is foe. Have you ever wondered why there are so many
members but so few posts? Would you like more than half of your
membership to start reposting your amd-p conversations here?

I have so many accounts in this group that I have to keep them in a
spreadsheet. When you publicly declared that you'd like to be an amd-p
troll, I thought I'd better gear up for a battle. Some of these
members have posted; some haven't. Are you going to ban everyone and
hope for the best?

You hold up your ability to control membership and declare that you
have power over this place. Then you spit on the people at amd-p and
contribute to the shit hole that it has become. I supported what you
did when you set up this place, but I walked away when you said that
amd-p would be your playground.

Considering the few posts that it gets, this place would be very easy
to overwhelm. The only reason that I haven't done so already is
because I have a conscience. That conscience is being whittled away
each time you entertain Scott or call people cowards because they won't
play with the troll. Once the threshold is reached, the gloves come
off and they don't go back on again.

--
Pogue Mahone

Axe Man

Dec 16, 2006, 4:56:42 PM12/16/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Easy to overwhelm ?

I accept your stupid challenge....

This is a Deep Purple site !

Axe_...@webtv.net

Dec 16, 2006, 5:14:47 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
To be fair to you, I won't even use a computer !

Russ

Dec 16, 2006, 5:19:26 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
> I have so many accounts in this group that I have to keep them in a
> spreadsheet. When you publicly declared that you'd like to be an amd-p
> troll, I thought I'd better gear up for a battle. Some of these
> members have posted; some haven't. Are you going to ban everyone and
> hope for the best?

Now why would you sign up for more than one account? You want the
option of trashing this site like the former DP site? Now just what
would that accomplish?

I have never posted at the other site, and I would urge Axe Man not too
either, at least not off topic. As far as I can tell, at least he is
not starting new off-topic threads. With the Google interface I use,
follow-ups to existing topics create no additional clutter. I just
don't open parasitic threads that are clearly off-topic from the start,
so no harm is done beyond the initial opening of the thread.

> You hold up your ability to control membership and declare that you
> have power over this place. Then you spit on the people at amd-p and
> contribute to the shit hole that it has become. I supported what you
> did when you set up this place, but I walked away when you said that
> amd-p would be your playground.

If anything is crystal clear from the other site, it is the need for a
moderated site. I don't think this site is moderated per se, but I
think it could be if necessary. If you decided to start trashing the
place, I suppose Axe Man could simply start checking submissions before
posting them. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

As for the parasite, it is perfectly clear that he doesn't care what
anyone says about him. Like a tapeworm that lives in some poor
schmuck's intestines, he has decided that he can use the site to
promote himself. He has also apparently decided that, for his
"business" interests, bad publicity is better than no publicity.

I see no way to salvage that site other than moderation, but I don't
know if moderation can be added to that kind of site, nor do I really
care enough to pursue it. I'll just use this site to express myself,
and if it goes to hell in a handbasket I'll just quit and use my time
more productively anyway.

> Considering the few posts that it gets, this place would be very easy
> to overwhelm. The only reason that I haven't done so already is
> because I have a conscience. That conscience is being whittled away
> each time you entertain Scott or call people cowards because they won't
> play with the troll. Once the threshold is reached, the gloves come
> off and they don't go back on again.

Well, I'm glad you have a conscience. I hope you also have better
things to do than trash a website.

Have a nice day.

Russ

Dec 16, 2006, 5:30:03 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Hey, Axe Man, put on some Floooooyd and chill out. He said he has a
conscience, so I don't think he intends to do anything. So long as you
can moderate this site, you have complete control. Anyone should be
able to figure that out.

Axe Man

Dec 16, 2006, 9:27:42 PM12/16/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

Cool :-)

Wog George

Dec 16, 2006, 10:40:21 PM12/16/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page

Russ wrote:
> > I have so many accounts in this group that I have to keep them in a
> > spreadsheet. When you publicly declared that you'd like to be an amd-p
> > troll, I thought I'd better gear up for a battle. Some of these
> > members have posted; some haven't. Are you going to ban everyone and
> > hope for the best?
>
> Now why would you sign up for more than one account? You want the
> option of trashing this site like the former DP site? Now just what
> would that accomplish?

Nothing positive for anyone. It would have been motivated by revenge
alone.

> I have never posted at the other site, and I would urge Axe Man not too
> either, at least not off topic. As far as I can tell, at least he is
> not starting new off-topic threads. With the Google interface I use,
> follow-ups to existing topics create no additional clutter. I just
> don't open parasitic threads that are clearly off-topic from the start,
> so no harm is done beyond the initial opening of the thread.

It's different for people who use a newsreader, particularly those who
read a message and then move to the next without returning to the list.
Most of the regulars at amd-p don't have a threaded view, preferring
to read the messages in the order that they were posted, or maybe
sorted by topic, but never actually selecting a message from a tree.
For people who like to read messages efficiently in that way, replies
to trolls do more harm than most things they could think of.

> > You hold up your ability to control membership and declare that you
> > have power over this place. Then you spit on the people at amd-p and
> > contribute to the shit hole that it has become. I supported what you
> > did when you set up this place, but I walked away when you said that
> > amd-p would be your playground.
>
> If anything is crystal clear from the other site, it is the need for a
> moderated site. I don't think this site is moderated per se, but I
> think it could be if necessary. If you decided to start trashing the
> place, I suppose Axe Man could simply start checking submissions before
> posting them. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Moderated means delay. Often the threads read like an instant
messaging service, but if you add a day or even an hour delay because
someone has to approve everything, the immediacy is lost.

> As for the parasite, it is perfectly clear that he doesn't care what
> anyone says about him. Like a tapeworm that lives in some poor
> schmuck's intestines, he has decided that he can use the site to
> promote himself. He has also apparently decided that, for his
> "business" interests, bad publicity is better than no publicity.

No response means his message doesn't get through. Instead of the
combatants each replying to each others posts, snowballing the problem
till there is an avalanche of off topic rubbish, there'd just be an
isolated and lonely post by an isolated and lonely person.

> I see no way to salvage that site other than moderation, but I don't
> know if moderation can be added to that kind of site, nor do I really
> care enough to pursue it. I'll just use this site to express myself,
> and if it goes to hell in a handbasket I'll just quit and use my time
> more productively anyway.

DT Lemons and others have spelled everything out, and have done for
years, pointing out that they only exist because people reply to them.
It's almost like a virus that says "Click here to infect your
computer", yet people click and continue to do so.

> > Considering the few posts that it gets, this place would be very easy
> > to overwhelm. The only reason that I haven't done so already is
> > because I have a conscience. That conscience is being whittled away
> > each time you entertain Scott or call people cowards because they won't
> > play with the troll. Once the threshold is reached, the gloves come
> > off and they don't go back on again.
>
> Well, I'm glad you have a conscience. I hope you also have better
> things to do than trash a website.

I do have much better things to do, including having an email
conversation with Mr Axe Man himself as we try to resolve our
differences like human beings.

> Have a nice day.

And you too Russ. If you're ever in need of a new DPFP account and
can't be bother signing up, I'll send you as many as you want...

--
George
"I will be able to tell my grandkids that I hit the future monarch

Russ

Dec 17, 2006, 2:17:56 AM12/17/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
Like spam, dealing with newsgroup parasites is a tough technical
problem. I agree that everyone should quit replying to blatantly
off-topic posts -- with an occasional exception for posts on the topic
of off-topic posts!

I wonder how many other newsgroups have this sort of problem. If it is
common, then it seems to me that Google should try to find a solution.
As it currently stands, Google does not let you block individual
posters. If they did, that would be a step in the right direction. But
the parasites can always open more accounts, of course, and I don't
know what the solution would be for that.

Russ

Dec 17, 2006, 3:19:17 AM12/17/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page
I thought about the problem a bit more, and I think I have an outline
of a solution. Whether it can actually be implemented or not, I don't
know. I doubt it can be implemented for amdp, but DPFP may have a
better chance.

As I said before, we need moderation, but I agree with you that a
moderation delay is unacceptable. So what we need is retroactive
moderation. Let anyone post without delay, but have a group of
moderators who are authorized to delete off-topic posts at any time. So
parasites will be able to post their crap, but the moderators will be
able to delete it at their leisure (and very quickly if they happen to
be online at the time of the post). Imagine what a pleasure that would
be! And I suspect it would also be a deterrent to garbage posts, so the
very fact of the moderation would make its actual usage less necessary.

Additionally, it might be wise to limit posts to a certain maximum
number per hour and per day, particularly posts that initiate a new
topic.

As for how the moderators would be chosen, I don't know. If Google
allows the owner of a group to delegate moderators, then we may have a
solution. Then the issue might be whether you trust the owner -- or
whether he trusts you. If you want a permanent, stable archive of all
posts, then you might reluctant to make DPFP your "home," but do you
really need that? I doubt it.

In any case, I realize that there is at least one other DP discussion
site out there, and maybe they already have a system similar to what I
am proposing.

So can it be done on this site?

Axe Man

Dec 17, 2006, 4:19:30 PM12/17/06
to purpl...@googlegroups.com

The problem with am-dp is that
it is ' public ' usenet, with no known
moderators. This site is different in
that regard as it has almost all the
safeguards you recommended.

Good thinking, Russ !

thegen...@cs.com

Dec 31, 2006, 10:56:10 PM12/31/06
to Deep Purple Fan Page

Russ wrote:
> I consider Made in Japan the greatest live rock album of all time, but
> apparently some people think Live at Leeds by the Who has it beat. I
> like the Who, but I simply cannot put Leeds in the same league with
> MIJ. What do you think?

I have to agree. As much as I like The Who, Live at Leeds, it is not in
the same league as MIJ.

Axe Man

Jan 29, 2007, 2:17:54 PM1/29/07
to purpl...@googlegroups.com