Darwin for Raspberry Pi

Peter Farell

Mar 8, 2014, 2:06:24 PM3/8/14
to pured...@googlegroups.com
I have a few raspberry pi's  I muck about with the command line
but have come to enjoy the the "say tts" in darwin over flight and espeak on Raspbian Distro
Is there a way to port darwin to the Raspberry Pi?

Tyson Key

Mar 8, 2014, 2:42:46 PM3/8/14
to pured...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the PlainTalk/Apple TTS components are are all closed-source, and compiled only for use on x86(-64), and PowerPC.

With that in mind, you might be interested in the project at https://github.com/darwin-on-arm, and the (abandoned?) blog at http://crna.cc/, which used to refer to a project called "Magenta". The folks involved have done some of the heavy-lifting, and reverse-engineering necessary to get the Open Source version of Darwin running on various ARM SoC-based devices - but since booting, and device I/O isn't standardised fully on ARM, you'd still need to create a baseport for the BroadCom SoC used in the Raspberry Pi.

I hope that helps,

Tyson.

                                          Fight Internet Censorship! http://www.eff.org
http://vmlemon.wordpress.com | Twitter/FriendFeed/Skype: vmlemon | 00447934365844

Ferdinand Klinzer

Mar 8, 2014, 2:50:15 PM3/8/14
to pured...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

and thanks to Tyson! good answer ... i would also recommend for you the project darwin-on-arm at https://github.com/darwin-on-arm
maybe you can tell us if you got some stuff to work on your pi's!

cheers

Ferdinand

Tyson Key

Mar 8, 2014, 2:59:52 PM3/8/14