XDarwin questions

Guigeek

Mar 11, 2012, 12:53:18 PM3/11/12
to PureDarwin
Hello!
I'm greatly interested in Darwin/MacOSX (UNIX, Linux,... ;)) and I
tried Pure Darwin Nano and Xmas. I find them really nice!

1)
But I started playing: I just wanted to start XDawin on Nano (to get
the cursor and the ugly background =)), but when starting it (I copied
all necessary files from the Xmas img)=> "no screens found"

After searching all the night (I know, it's not good...) I decided to
ask help!
I have tried changing the kernel, the IOKit framework, kexts, libs,
configuration files, ...
It's so frustrating!!!
I don't know what is wrong, I copied all the X11 files from Xmas to
Nano!

2)
I started a port of the old XDarwin to the new xserver branch/files
(used xserver-XQuartz-2.7.1). My goal is to get it working on Darwin,
Mac OS, and a dream: iOS =)
But the server doesn't start=> Either my new version or the Xmas's one
display the same thing from the Mac OS (10.6/10.7) console: "IOKit
mode" and the screen freezes until I type "exit". And there are no
errors in the logs!
I can't get displaying the cursor!

So my question is: Because I can't find enough doc on XDarwin, do you
have an idea of what can cause those problems (I have no access to a
leopard/Tiger machine to test, but perhaps it comes from the OS's
version)?

Thanks a lot in advance
Guillaume

PS: Excuse my really bad english...

Aladin

Mar 13, 2012, 7:48:03 PM3/13/12
to pured...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:53:18 PM UTC+1, Guigeek wrote:
Hello!
I'm greatly interested in Darwin/MacOSX (UNIX, Linux,... ;)) and I
tried Pure Darwin Nano and Xmas. I find them really nice!

1)
But I started playing: I just wanted to start XDawin on Nano (to get
the cursor and the ugly background =)), but when starting it (I copied
all necessary files from the Xmas img)=> "no screens found"

2)
I started a port of the old XDarwin to the new xserver branch/files
(used xserver-XQuartz-2.7.1). My goal is to get it working on Darwin,
Mac OS, and a dream: iOS =)

Keep dreaming ;-)

But the server doesn't start=> Either my new version or the Xmas's one
display the same thing from the Mac OS (10.6/10.7) console: "IOKit
mode" and the screen freezes until I type "exit". And there are no
errors in the logs!
I can't get displaying the cursor!

So my question is: Because I can't find enough doc on XDarwin, do you
have an idea of what can cause those problems (I have no access to a
leopard/Tiger machine to test, but perhaps it comes from the OS's
version)?

My first bet is maybe a permission problem or (wrong copy option? I don't know how you copied files & folders from xmas to nano).

Guigeek

Mar 14, 2012, 2:45:33 PM3/14/12
to PureDarwin
Thanks for the answer =)

> My first bet is maybe a permission problem or (wrong copy option? I don't
> know how you copied files & folders from xmas to nano).

I copied them from the finder (I start Xmas and Nano in qemu) and then
launched pd_repairpermissions, is it a problem?

I kept searching and found that display0 is never added to ioreg on
Nano, so logically XDarwin can' t find it...
The problem is that I type in kextload /S/L/E/IOGraphicsFamily.kext
and the kext loads correctly but it doesn't change anything in ioreg,
I'm don't really know what to do now.

I compared kextstats between Xmas and Nano but I saw no graphics
related kexts differences...

Tanks a lot for helping!
Guillaume

PS: when loading kexts it prints out that symbol _sha1_hardware_hook
is not defined, is it a problem?

daid kahl

Mar 15, 2012, 3:35:26 AM3/15/12
to pured...@googlegroups.com
>> My first bet is maybe a permission problem or (wrong copy option? I don't
>> know how you copied files & folders from xmas to nano).
>
> I copied them from the finder (I start Xmas and Nano in qemu) and then
> launched pd_repairpermissions, is it a problem?

I know when I was playing with this some time ago, I believe I copied
by command line specifying cp -rp

If you do that way, surely all permissions are not changed.

Also, for the best case for testing, I always thought it made sense to
run natively, so I put it on a USB flash drive and booted directly.
If you use rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) on your main Mac OS
hidden boot partition, it's easy to select the USB key and boot from
it (plus you can customize a nice splash screen!). Of course
emulation is much easier for playing around, making quick changes, and
having generally computer usage access (like internet and a web
browser...haha).

Just my two cents. I didn't do much besides poke around and prove to
myself the project makes a bootable system. Now my MacBook is dead
for about one year, so....

Cheers,
daid

Guigeek

Mar 16, 2012, 1:27:32 PM3/16/12
to PureDarwin
> I know when I was playing with this some time ago, I believe I copied
> by command line specifying cp -rp
>
> If you do that way, surely all permissions are not changed.

Ok, thanks, it looks really easier to do like that! =)

> Also, for the best case for testing, I always thought it made sense to
> run natively, so I put it on a USB flash drive and booted directly.
> If you use rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) on your main Mac OS
> hidden boot partition, it's easy to select the USB key and boot from
> it (plus you can customize a nice splash screen!).  Of course
> emulation is much easier for playing around, making quick changes, and
> having generally computer usage access (like internet and a web
> browser...haha).

Yes, I'll try on my old hackintosh netbook (probably easy to get
working Darwin using the hackintosh configuration...) and keep the mac
alongside it to make changes on the USB key, thanks for the advice.

probono

Apr 13, 2012, 2:43:34 AM4/13/12
to pured...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guigeek,

probably it makes most sense to try on a virtual machine first, that
way you can explore how everything works, which kexts need to be
loaded etc.

Getting GUI to work on a real machine can be a pain, since there are
not too many drivers for graphics cards.

However, VNC (remote display) over network works fine for me (running
PureDarwin as a headless server)…

Regards
Simon

2012/3/16 Guigeek <verdeau....@gmail.com>:

--
http://www.puredarwin.org/

verdeau....@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2012, 2:34:03 PM6/29/12
to pured...@googlegroups.com
Are you still interested in a new version of XDarwin?
Because I just spent some time to port the code to the actual Xorg source.
I saw on the wiki page that you need to recreate the source for Xorg, so if you're interested, it's working fine on my Lion MBA (Xorg version: xorg-server-1.12.2.901) (Gnome is working, with scrolling, ...).
I can send you the modified code if you want.

probono

Jul 3, 2012, 12:06:28 AM7/3/12
to pured...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am most definitely very interested!
Thanks,
Simon

2012/6/29 <verdeau....@gmail.com>:
--
http://www.puredarwin.org/

adi...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2017, 12:16:00 PM11/21/17
to PureDarwin
Are you still working on this one?
Because I've got the same problem running PureDarwin on real hardware (NEC Versa in this case), it's i915,
Nano can be booted and run with no problems

Thanks before