Netatalk on Darwin 8

Daiyu Hurst

Nov 12, 2012, 12:14:53 AM11/12/12
to PureDarwin
This really isn't a PureDarwin issue, but rather one that I should
take up with the maintainer of the Netatalk port. BUT... the port has
a page dedicated to it on the PureDarwin website.

MacPorts has some kind of mechanism for generating a plist for
starting up service ports. It does this using a MacPorts utility named
'daemondo'.

The netatalk port installs fine, but loading the daemon to load with

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.netatalk.plist

doesn't work on Darwin 8 because it doesn't build daemondo. On my iMac
running Tiger, I have two copies of MacPorts, one compiled to target
and build natively for the PPC, and another loaded in /optX86, as an
experiment doing cross-ports. I tried to trick it into generating a
daemondo for the x86 version there, but no go. Once again, this points
towards CF.

Anyway the page should probably mention this, that unless you've got
PureFoundation or something else in PureDarwin, you're not going to
have daemondo, and you'll need to hack some other startup mechanism to
include

/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.netatalk/netatalk.wrapper
start

to start Netatalk up.