LLVM 3.5 in Arch

Albert Graef

Apr 5, 2018, 2:28:06 PM4/5/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com, Alastair Pharo
Hi Alastair,

I'm afraid that we've got a problem again, llvm35 just got removed from extra. :( Apparently someone noticed that no packages in the official repos use it any more and just gave it the boot.

Anyway, I resurrected the latest PKGBUILD and I'm currently working on fixing some minor compilation issues (maybe that's why it got kicked out), so that we can offer it in our binary repos.

The question is how we should deploy this in the AUR once I have it working again? It's a split package, so this will give issues with some AUR helpers (in particular, yaourt still doesn't properly support split packages).

Alastair, any thoughts on this? I vaguely recall that you had an llvm35 package in the AUR back in the day before it was adopted into the official repos.

TIA
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  agg...@gmail.com

John Cowan

Apr 5, 2018, 4:34:15 PM4/5/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
If you depend on a specific version of LLVM, you should probably include it in the Pure package rather than taking a dependency hit.  Google in fact will not take an external dependency unless it is 20 KLOC (I may be wrong about the specific number) or larger.  Anything less, and they just put it into the repo that requires it.

Disk space is far cheaper than constant dependency hell.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        co...@ccil.org
Take two turkeys, one goose, four cabbages, but no duck, and mix them

Albert Graef

Apr 5, 2018, 5:00:49 PM4/5/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
John, I'm afraid that's not an option here. LLVM is just too big, and
takes much longer to compile than Pure itself.

Alastair, I got the thing to build again. I had to get rid of the
compiler-rt part which Pure doesn't need anyway, I just couldn't get
that to compile any more. Also, I only build the host target for now,
builds much quicker, and it's all that Pure needs. The clang package
is still included, as some applications may need it to produce LLVM
bitcode from C/C++. You can find my current PKGBUILD here:
https://bitbucket.org/agraef/llvm35-pkgbuild
>> email to pure-lang+...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/pure-lang.

Albert Graef

Apr 8, 2018, 6:28:39 PM4/8/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Albert Graef <agg...@gmail.com> wrote:
The question is how we should deploy this in the AUR once I have it working again? It's a split package, so this will give issues with some AUR helpers (in particular, yaourt still doesn't properly support split packages).

I just went ahead and uploaded the fixed package to the AUR now. People will have to install it using an AUR helper that supports split packages, such as aurman. I've also updated the "Pure on Arch" wiki page accordingly.

In addition, binary packages are now in our pure-aur repository, so everything should just continue to work on Arch. (If you're running plain Arch, you've probably noticed the update already, since I also bumped the revision of the packages. Manjaro users will see them as soon as the latest Arch repository changes arrive in the Manjaro repos.)

Please let me know if you're having trouble with the transition, so that we can get any remaining Arch-related packaging issues sorted out asap.