Pure on current LLVM JIT.

Eddie Rucker

Feb 23, 2018, 9:15:40 AM2/23/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Hi Albert.

I hope all is well. I was wondering if you could give us an update on when Pure will work on the current LLVM JIT.

Eddie Rucker

Director of Institutional Research
Blue Mountain College

Albert Graef

Feb 23, 2018, 1:53:00 PM2/23/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddie,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Eddie Rucker <eru...@bmc.edu> wrote:
I hope all is well. I was wondering if you could give us an update on when Pure will work on the current LLVM JIT.

Sorry, no news on that yet, but now that the winter semester is finally over and I found some time to get working on Pure again, I'll see what I can do. I know, I make promises like that every year again, but the thing is that I've just got an awful lot of other projects I'm involved in. :( And LLVM has advanced so much in recent years, that I'll likely have to start with the kaleidoscope example again to figure out how that new-fangled JIT works.

Nevertheless, this has been and certainly still is the highest-priority item on my TODO list, apart from providing my students with working Pure, Pd and Faust binaries. So there's hope that I get around to it before I retire. ;-)

Fortunately, LLVM 3.5 is still readily available on Arch, MacPorts and Msys2, there's a ready-to use PPA for the current Ubuntu release (17.10) and I already have a PPA for the upcoming Ubuntu LTS (18.04 a.k.a. Bionic) mostly ready, and will see to it that it's complete by the time Bionic comes out.

So I'm doing as much as I can to keep Pure alive and well, even though I don't always post about it. I could use some help, though, so if anyone who knows the ins and outs of the MCJIT would be willing to give a helping hand, that would be appreciated very much indeed!

Greetings,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  agg...@gmail.com

Eddie Rucker

Feb 23, 2018, 3:12:08 PM2/23/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Albert. I understand about being busy.

Eddie Rucker

Director of Institutional Research
Blue Mountain College

Feb 25, 2018, 1:39:08 PM2/25/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 7:52 PM, Albert Graef <agg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I already have a PPA for the upcoming Ubuntu LTS (18.04 a.k.a. Bionic) mostly ready, and will see to it that it's complete by the time Bionic comes out.

Just a quick heads up, the 18.04 PPA at https://launchpad.net/~dr-graef/+archive/ubuntu/pure-lang.bionic is done and dusted now. This also includes the complete LLVM 3.5 toolchain which isn't in the official repos any more. So anyone already running Bionic, please give it a whirl and report back if there are problems with any of the packages.

Along with it there's a new release of pure-gen (0.21) which now includes the language-c 0.5 dependency that's been causing trouble lately. So no need to go hunting for that package any more, just make sure that you have ghc, cabal-install, alex and happy installed, then running `make cabal-install` or `make maintainer-build` will take care of everything. (I'm actually using the latter to build the Arch and Ubuntu pure-gen packages now.) For as long as ghc still compiles language-c-0.5.0, we should have that dependency covered now.

Best,

Eddie Rucker

Feb 26, 2018, 8:44:44 AM2/26/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to upgrade later this week or weekend and see what happens.

Eddie Rucker

Director of Institutional Research
Blue Mountain College

Eddie Rucker

Feb 26, 2018, 2:06:32 PM2/26/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update. I definitely need a stable release. I am having issues with our network fire wall and downloading the msys2 32bit version on the Windows. At some point soon, I am going to wipe the 32bit system and install a 64bit system on it anyway.

Email: agg...@gmail.com<mailto:agg...@gmail.com><mailto:agg...@gmail.com<mailto:agg...@gmail.com>>
WWW: https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef

Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email: agg...@gmail.com<mailto:agg...@gmail.com>
WWW: https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef

max.wolf

Apr 10, 2018, 12:48:51 PM4/10/18
to pure-lang
Hi Albert

I installed pure on bionic beta2 from your repo.
Is there a chance to enable pcre support without compiling manually?

Max

Albert Graef

Apr 10, 2018, 4:35:42 PM4/10/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 6:48 PM, max.wolf <23.1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a chance to enable pcre support without compiling manually?

No, sorry. But you could install debuild et al and roll your own with `make deb` (instructions are in the Makefile). You only need to add the option in the override_dh_auto_configure target in the pure/debian/rules file.

Albert

Max

Albert Graef

Apr 11, 2018, 7:50:17 PM4/11/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 6:48 PM, max.wolf <23.1...@gmail.com> wrote:
I installed pure on bionic beta2 from your repo.
Is there a chance to enable pcre support without compiling manually?

Ok, I had a go at it today, can you please try:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install libpure8-pcre

(This just swaps out the libpure package, which should be all that's needed. If you want to go back to the default, just run sudo apt install libpure8.)

If it works for you, then I'll copy the package over to Artful and Xenial as well.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  agg...@gmail.com

Albert Graef

Apr 11, 2018, 8:01:20 PM4/11/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention that you'll have to update to Pure 0.68 first if you haven't already (sudo apt upgrade).