Book Recommendations

Yves Cloutier

Mar 25, 2018, 10:57:07 AM3/25/18
to pure-lang
Hi there,

I'm reaching out to see if there would be any recommendations for books you know of on the topic of term rewriting approach to software development.

Something practical, which ideally doesn't make heavy use of types.

I stumbles upon Term Rewriting And All That  which seems promising. Any others anyone would recommend?

Albert Graef

Mar 25, 2018, 4:44:51 PM3/25/18
to pure...@googlegroups.com
None that I know of (outside the realm of computer algebra theorem proving, that is). Both "Term Rewriting and All That" and the Terese book are about theory. There aren't all that many practical general-purpose systems for TRS programming either. Pure is the only one I know of. :)

There's Mike O'Donnell's book from 1985, but that's more of historic interest nowadays: https://books.google.de/books/about/Equational_Logic_as_a_Programming_Langua.html?id=w9kmAAAAMAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

I'm afraid that programming language research was way more interesting in the 1970s and 1980s, when people were still pursuing novel concepts instead of incrementally improving the tried and proven stuff.

Albert

Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  agg...@gmail.com
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef

Yves Cloutier

Yves Cloutier

Mar 29, 2018, 6:24:40 PM3/29/18
to pure-lang
Actually I see you mention these 2 books on one of your pages:

https://github.com/agraef/pure-lang/wiki/Rewriting