Difference between puppet agent and puppetd

Axel Bock

Aug 17, 2012, 6:05:05 AM8/17/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hello readers,

I am wondering - what's the difference between executing "puppet agent" and "puppetd"? I am on SLES 11 SP2, and both commands want to use the /var/run/puppet/agent.pid lock file, both pull the configurations from the server, but they seem to be mutually exlusive. When I run "sudo puppet agent", the /etc/init.d/puppet status" will say "unused", for examle. Also the process is different - one is /usr/sbin/puppetd, the other is /usr/bin/puppet.

Yet they do - AFAIK - the same.

Can somebody help me out here? Which one should I actually use for clients?

Thanks & greetings,
Axel.

Paul Tötterman

Aug 17, 2012, 7:12:41 AM8/17/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Axel,

`puppetd` is the old (< 2.6.0?) way to call the agent, and `puppet agent` is the new way. The old way is still supported, but support will probably be removed at some point.

Cheers,
Paul

Axel Bock

Aug 17, 2012, 9:26:54 AM8/17/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

thanks for the answer. I'm on SLES 11 SP2, and the RPM says "puppet-2.6.17-0.3.1".
so, no, it should be reasonably new (even if too old for my personal taste ;)

SuSE uses puppetd in the /etc/init.d script it seems.

Greetings,
Axel.

llowder

Aug 17, 2012, 9:31:03 AM8/17/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, August 17, 2012 8:26:54 AM UTC-5, Axel Bock wrote:
Hi Paul,

thanks for the answer. I'm on SLES 11 SP2, and the RPM says "puppet-2.6.17-0.3.1".
so, no, it should be reasonably new (even if too old for my personal taste ;)

SuSE uses puppetd in the /etc/init.d script it seems.

Ubuntu (10.04 + 12.04) uses puppetd in it's upstart and related scripts as well IIRC.

Stuart Cracraft

Aug 17, 2012, 9:38:56 PM8/17/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I hope the rapidity of change and the "quest for newness" doesn't render the product less stable and predictable.