Help with Bolt Puppet DSL example

Sandra Schlichting

Nov 17, 2021, 3:42:45 PM11/17/21
to Puppet Users

Dear all =)

I would like to learn Bolt with Puppet DSL, so I was wondering if someone could get me started with an example that:

* logs into a Linux host
* touch new_file_as_user
* sudo
* touch file_as_root

That would be very much appreciated =)

Hugs,
Sandra =)

Martin Alfke

Nov 18, 2021, 6:59:19 AM11/18/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandra,

Bolt has two options: tasks and plans.
Tasks consist of a Script (Shell, Powershell, Python, Ruby) and a .json file.
Plans are written in Puppet DSL.

Main difference:
Tasks run workflow actions like stop a service, do something and restart the service.
Plans are used to control tasks over a number of nodes.

In you case I would head to a task.
When using pdf, you can run pdf new task within a module.

You can then use bolt to execute a task:

bolt task run <task name> —nodes <comma separated node list>

The task istself:
#modules/demo/tasks/test.sh
#!/bin/bash
touch <file>