Puppet 7 lookup not behaving as expected

Terrence W Martin

Jul 21, 2022, 2:02:07 PM7/21/22
to Puppet Users
Hi,

I have a recent puppet installation that is giving me some unexpected results. When I run

puppet lookup hascert   --environment production --explain

hascert is my own defined value in Hiera, useful for testing. Anyway I get the expected output with the above command, the value of hascert for the current puppet host which it gets from the path

Original path: "nodes/%{::fqdn}.yaml"

However when I try to run it with the --node parameter I get this output

 puppet lookup hascert --node   host.domain.tld   --environment production --explain

Error: Could not run: No facts available for target node: host.domain.tld

This exact same command works fine on my other puppet installs (puppet 6), anmd older puppet 5 systems, even if the node does not actually exist.

--debug does not tell me much more again ending in this error.

Debug: /File[/opt/puppetlabs/server/data/puppetserver/locales]: Adding autorequire relationship with File[/opt/puppetlabs/server/data/puppetserver]
Debug: Finishing transaction 11240
Debug: Facter: Facter.load_external(true) called. External facts will be loaded
Debug: Runtime environment: puppet_version=7.17.0, ruby_version=2.7.6, run_mode=server, default_encoding=UTF-8
Error: Could not run: No facts available for target node: host.domain.tld

Clearly I am missing some bit of config to connect things.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks!

Terrence