agent not launching on windows client

pko...@moleculevfx.com

May 23, 2022, 1:17:57 PM5/23/22
to Puppet Users
I've been struggling to get puppet agent 7.12 to run by itself on windows 10. I'm watching for runs on the event viewer in Custom Views > Administrative Events.
It seems that it will run dependably/independently if I
1) change the puppet.conf "runinterval=30m" to "runinterval=1800" AND
2) change Puppet Agent service to automatic AND
3) after I run it manually at least once.

The problem is that I need it to run withOUT being run manually.
Suggestions?

pko...@moleculevfx.com

May 23, 2022, 1:32:29 PM5/23/22
to Puppet Users
My current puppet.conf:

[main]
certname=windowscw.example.com
server=puppet
autoflush=true
manage_internal_file_permissions=false
environment=development
runinterval=1800

Andrew Jones

May 23, 2022, 3:17:03 PM5/23/22
to Puppet Users
Open a power shell window and run `puppet resource service puppet` you should see something like this;
PS C:\Users\Administrator> puppet resource service puppet
service { 'puppet':
  ensure       => 'running',
  enable       => 'true',
  logonaccount => 'LocalSystem',
  provider     => 'windows',
}
This will tell you if the service is running.

pko...@moleculevfx.com

May 23, 2022, 5:02:41 PM5/23/22
to Puppet Users
Thank you!

And instead I see:
C:\Windows\system32>puppet resource service puppet
service { 'puppet':
  ensure       => 'stopped',

  enable       => 'true',
  logonaccount => 'LocalSystem',
  provider     => 'windows',
}

so....my currrent code already has this:
'windows': {
  service { 'puppet'  : ensure =>  'running', enable => true, }
}
I'll run puppet with debug and see what's happening...but basically, it doesn't seem like its saving the state.

Andrew Jones

May 23, 2022, 5:44:16 PM5/23/22
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I'd be tempted to put a https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/5.5/types/notify.html into your code temporarily to ensure that it's being enforced.
Try running `puppet resource service puppet ensure=running` in powershell and see if you can switch it on manually from there.
Could there be some other agent or group policy that is shutting the puppet service down?

Andrew Jones
Professional Services Engineer - EMEA
Puppet. The shortest path to better software.

pko...@moleculevfx.com

May 27, 2022, 7:28:10 PM5/27/22
to Puppet Users
Once again I appreciate your help @Andrew.
Since I'm running profiles/roles I did you what recommended and I also added service { 'puppet'  : ensure =>  'running', enable => true, }
 to my role in addition to my profile ...which seemed to really work and makes me think the profile code wasn't working.
-peter