How can MCollective replace "puppet kick"?

Sandra Schlichting

Aug 25, 2012, 2:19:43 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Dear readers,

I was shocked to see that "puppet kick" will be deprecated in 3.0.0

How can MCollective replace "puppet kick"?

Hugs,
Sandra

James Turnbull

Aug 25, 2012, 2:32:48 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/AgentPuppetd

Regards

James Turnbull

--
James Turnbull
Puppet Labs

Sandra Schlichting

Aug 25, 2012, 2:44:57 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what MCollective is, and that link doesn't say anything that will explain it or how I can push configs to nodes =(

Nick Fagerlund

Aug 25, 2012, 3:12:29 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
MCollective is a service that runs on every node. It constantly polls a message queue server for real-time messages and sometimes responds to them by performing actions.

You use a command-line client app to send messages, and you can set filters on each message so only certain nodes or groups of nodes will respond to them. Every node that matches a message will react simultaneously when the message goes out.

Each node has a set of actions it can run, provided by plugins. The "puppetd" plugin lets you control puppet agent, but it's better than puppet kick: It can trigger runs even if puppet agent usually runs via cron instead of as a service, it can enable and disable puppet runs, and it can fetch last run summaries. MCollective also lets you be smarter about triggering runs because it doesn't limit you to hostnames; you can filter by puppet class, facts, etc.

Does that help?

Sandra Schlichting

Aug 25, 2012, 3:33:49 PM8/25/12
[...]

Absolutely =)

Wow! That is impressive.

I have seen the puppet agent taking ~100MB of ram.

Is MCollective also written in Ruby, and therefore take a lot of ram?

Eric Shamow

Aug 25, 2012, 4:11:44 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Sandra,

The mcollective agent is written in Ruby, but it's really tiny.  You can use the mco controller plugin to view resource utilization over time, and it's generally infinitesimal.

-Eric

--

Eric Shamow
Professional Services

Join us for PuppetConf 2012 at the Mission Bay Convention Center in San Francisco, California on September 27th and 28th --> http://bit.ly/pcsig12

Sandra Schlichting

Aug 25, 2012, 4:22:22 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
The mcollective agent is written in Ruby, but it's really tiny.  You can use the mco controller plugin to view resource utilization over time, and it's generally infinitesimal.

Great. Thanks =)

MCollective sounds very useful!

Johan Kamb

Aug 25, 2012, 3:11:48 PM8/25/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective gives a bit more information on mcollective itself. You don't actually push configs to nodes with it; you have a client which "tells" all machines that matches a fact to trigger a puppet run. The puppetd agent plugin is required for this to work.

Sandra Schlichting

Aug 26, 2012, 4:59:15 AM8/26/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective gives a bit more information on mcollective itself. You don't actually push configs to nodes with it; you have a client which "tells" all machines that matches a fact to trigger a puppet run. The puppetd agent plugin is required for this to work.

Thanks for clearing that out =)

It definitely sounds useful for other things as well, so I will install it once I have puppet 3 up and running =)

Dan White

Aug 26, 2012, 12:52:23 PM8/26/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Is MCollective part of Puppet Enterprise ?

I cannot find documentation that says yea or nay.

Dan White

Aug 26, 2012, 12:54:45 PM8/26/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Spoke too soon !

Found it !

"PE’s orchestration features are built on the MCollective framework"

Walter Heck

Aug 26, 2012, 3:30:10 PM8/26/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
mcollective is stand-alone software, it doesn't actually require
puppet. It's also free and open source. The only thing you get with PE
is the live management fature in the dashboard, which is essentially a
GUI for mcollective if I'm not mistaken.

cheers,

Walter
> --

Walter Heck

--
Check out my startup: Puppet training and consulting @ http://www.olindata.com
Follow @olindata on Twitter and/or 'Like' our Facebook page at

Eric Shamow

Aug 26, 2012, 4:33:59 PM8/26/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
You get a good bit more than that - PE sets up the ActiveMQ stuff for you and handles key setup/exchange, which is fairly difficult to do by hand the first time if you aren't familiar with the stuff.  As it is, any PE node you add to your PE master automatically gets added to your mcollective environment, which is quite nice.