Newbie wants to know your favourite distro for Puppet Server

Jarod Schoen

Jun 15, 2021, 12:40:11 PM6/15/21
to Puppet Users
Hi all,
I've been practicing getting Puppet Server (Master) up and running on a whole variety of distros. CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian... and the more instructions I read, the more its impossible to understand how Puppet works and should be installed.

I swear, every single time I try to implement this, I try new instructions and get various results. Last year, I could get it up and running with 1 Windows agent and pushed VLC. Can't get back to that level of functionality anymore...

What is the #1 best distro for puppet server and
do you know any great instructions for installing the latest Puppet Server/Agents v7

CentOS (or best distro) - with all Windows agents. No Linux agents required right now. I'm just trying to automate system installs on Windows.

Thank you,
Jarod

Justin Stoller

Jun 15, 2021, 2:21:46 PM6/15/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 9:40 AM Jarod Schoen <poppeta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I've been practicing getting Puppet Server (Master) up and running on a whole variety of distros. CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian... and the more instructions I read, the more its impossible to understand how Puppet works and should be installed.

I swear, every single time I try to implement this, I try new instructions and get various results. Last year, I could get it up and running with 1 Windows agent and pushed VLC. Can't get back to that level of functionality anymore...

That's terrible, I hope if our docs (or software) are part of the problem you let us know!

What is the #1 best distro for puppet server and
do you know any great instructions for installing the latest Puppet Server/Agents v7

I typically install it on Redhat 7 because that's what the majority of customers use, however I think Redhat/CentOS 8, and our builds from http://yum.puppet.com/puppet-release-el-8.noarch.rpm will treat you better.

HTH,
Justin

CentOS (or best distro) - with all Windows agents. No Linux agents required right now. I'm just trying to automate system installs on Windows.

Thank you,
Jarod

Jarod Schoen

Jun 16, 2021, 8:44:37 AM6/16/21
to Puppet Users
Thank you very much, I will give CentOS 8 (currently on 7.9) and try that rpm.

I went CentOS 7.9 because some body of people is saying that version 8 is beleaguered already... I dont know who to believe.

Dirk Heinrichs

Jun 16, 2021, 9:29:12 AM6/16/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Dienstag, den 15.06.2021, 09:40 -0700 schrieb Jarod Schoen:

I've been practicing getting Puppet Server (Master) up and running on a whole variety of distros. CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian... and the more instructions I read, the more its impossible to understand how Puppet works and should be installed.

Well, it works the same regardless of how it's installed. Anyway, installation (from packages) on Linux depends on which distribution family (RedHat or Debian) you're using. RedHat family distributions (RedHat, CentOS) use the RedHat Package Manager (rpm) and its wrappers yum and/or dnf for package management, while Debian family distributions (Debian, Ubuntu) use the Debian package manager (dpkg, with apt wrapped around it). The documentation contains detailed instructions about how to install Puppet packages on either family. It all boils down to

  1. Download and install a matching release package which will setup the Puppetlabs package repository for your distribution/version and desired Puppet version
  2. Use the native package manager to install Puppet server and/or agent packages

What is the #1 best distro for puppet server and

For me, that's definitively Debian ;-)

do you know any great instructions for installing the latest Puppet Server/Agents v7

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline

Jarod Schoen

Jun 16, 2021, 10:30:59 AM6/16/21
to Puppet Users
Thank you. I'll try to be more thorough in my reading. Everyone else seems to be ok during setup.

Jochen Haeberle

Jun 16, 2021, 10:35:50 AM6/16/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I am going well with Debian, but that’s what I usually use.

I guess I had a hard time running Puppet against Windows only… although it is possible, I think the worlds are so apart that there are some rough edges… you probably are more easy when you know your Puppet from unix and then start to conquer Windows.

Next thing, I would start out with Puppet serverless and add Puppet Master later…

I would recommend some titles from the PACKT library, they helped me very much.

Best,
Jochen

Jarod Schoen

Jun 16, 2021, 10:59:54 AM6/16/21
to Puppet Users
Thank you, I saw those PACKT books and had bad experiences with their programming books. I'll give their puppet one a try!

Jarod Schoen

Jun 16, 2021, 11:20:37 AM6/16/21
to Puppet Users
Important note I forgot:
I'm definitely not talking about puppet.com documentation. Its very detailed and has helped me get out of jams along the way.
But there are like 1000 blogs and I got stuck in the ... reasonable-facsimile-of-real-instructions negative feedback loop.

Ian Mortimer

Jun 16, 2021, 8:58:16 PM6/16/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2021-06-16 at 05:44 -0700, Jarod Schoen wrote:

> I went CentOS 7.9 because some body of people is saying that version
> 8 is beleaguered already... I dont know who to believe.

You probably don't want to install CentOS 8 on any production server.
It will be replaced at the end of the year by CentOS Stream:

https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/

If you want to stay RedHat based, Oracle Linux would be the safest
option currently.

--
Ian

Peter Meier

Jun 17, 2021, 4:25:21 AM6/17/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, Ian Mortimer
Or you just don't believe the FUD spread all over the internet and you
go with CentOS Stream 8 already now, which is the same as CentOS Linux
just a bit earlier available (even earlier than Oracle, Rocky, ...).

I happily converted all my CentOS Linux 8 Systems (close to 100) to
CentOS Stream 8 last year and it all works fine. There is zero difference.

I am also looking forward to start integrating CentOS Stream 9 in the
next few months, which means I'll be able to start planning and
integrating the next version waaaaay before Oracle even gets to rebuild it.

~pete

Jarod Schoen

Jun 18, 2021, 5:20:28 PM6/18/21
to Puppet Users