Trying to deploy / update logmein on Windows 7x64 with Puppet 3.4.3, getting error

jmp242

Apr 7, 2014, 1:39:54 PM4/7/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
So I'm trying to do this:
        file {'logmein.msi':
            path     => 'C:/ProgramData/puppetfiles/logmein.msi',
            source   => "puppet:///modules/logmein/LogMeIn.msi",
            owner    => 'SYSTEM',
            group    => 'Administrators',
            mode     => 0770,
            provider => windows,
            ensure   => present,
          }

          package { 'LogMeIn':
            ensure          => '4.1.4132',
            source          => 'C:/ProgramData/puppetfiles/logmein.msi',
            install_options => ['/quiet'],
          }

        }
        File['logmein.msi'] -> Package['LogMeIn']

But I get this error:
Could not update: Failed to install: This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

change from absent to 4.1.4132 failed: Could not update: Failed to install: This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

I'm not sure what the problem would be, I can run the msi from the command like locally on my test computer from the file resource (which works) with the same install flag and that works OK...

Adam Stacey

Apr 7, 2014, 5:34:51 PM4/7/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I would try
1) Putting your path in the name field instead of using the path attribute (though your forward-slashes should be fine)
2) Consider using the source_permissions flag in the file copy to rule out any permissions issues.
3) Making sure the name attribute of the package matches whatever will appear in Add/Remove Programs

This page was invaluable to me when starting out writing Windows manifests: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/windows/writing.html#packagepackage

H2H

This message may contain confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and destroy all copies.
We may monitor communications to and from our network.

jmp242

Apr 8, 2014, 8:50:25 AM4/8/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
The file resource is working fine, so I seriously doubt it would be 1).
On 2) are you suggesting source_permisisons => ignore so "On Windows, Puppet will use the default DACL associated with the user it is running as"? I can try, but again, I use the same template, with the same permissions in the file resource, with exec resources then using that file that work fine. Is package more picky then exec?
3) the package name was set by the documentation using 'puppet resource package' on a test computer.

Josh Cooper

Apr 8, 2014, 2:36:12 PM4/8/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Adam Stacey <ada...@alpharooms.com> wrote:
On Monday, 7 April 2014 18:39:54 UTC+1, jmp242 wrote:
So I'm trying to do this:
        file {'logmein.msi':
            path     => 'C:/ProgramData/puppetfiles/logmein.msi',
            source   => "puppet:///modules/logmein/LogMeIn.msi",
            owner    => 'SYSTEM',
            group    => 'Administrators',
            mode     => 0770,
            provider => windows,
            ensure   => present,
          }

          package { 'LogMeIn':
            ensure          => '4.1.4132',
            source          => 'C:/ProgramData/puppetfiles/logmein.msi',

The source parameter needs to have backslashes, otherwise msiexec.exe thinks it is a command line argument. See https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-398

Since it is a single quoted string, you don't need to escape the backslash, e.g. 'C:\ProgramData\puppetfiles\...'. But if you needed to do variable interpolation, then it would need to be "C:\\$mydir\\..."

            install_options => ['/quiet'],
          }

        }
[...]

Developer, Puppet Labs