Puppet online user study - config file manipulations

Bernhard Denner

May 3, 2017, 4:18:58 PM5/3/17
to Puppet Users, Markus Raab
Hello Puppet community,

As part of my master thesis, I've developed a module [1] (puppet-libelektra) to partially modify configuration files of different formats on a key value basis, similar to "ini_setting" or "augeas". Behind the scenes I'm using the Elektra configuration library [2].

To evaluate the usability of this module compared to other Puppet file manipulation methods, I have designed a software experiment.
This experiment consist of 4 different programming tasks and gives you a good opportunity to directly compare the usability of resource types such as 'file', 'host', 'ini_setting', 'augeas' or 'kdbkey' (the new one) in different scenarios.

The experiment is designed to allow you a participation from your own machine (requires Linux with Docker).

All you need to do is: follow the instructions found on https://github.com/BernhardDenner/puppet-userstudy-controller

I would be very happy if you participate in this study.
If you need help or have any questions do not hesitate to send me an email.

The results of this study will help us to improve the puppet-libelektra module.

Thanks,
Bernhard Denner

[1] https://github.com/ElektraInitiative/puppet-libelektra
[2] https://www.libelektra.org

Bernhard Denner

May 14, 2017, 9:03:17 AM5/14/17
to Puppet Users, marku...@complang.tuwien.ac.at
Hello community,

== REMINDER ==

The Puppet file manipulation user study is running until tomorrow May 15.
If you want to participate please follow instructions found under https://github.com/BernhardDenner/puppet-userstudy-controller
Experienced Puppet users will do it in about 2h.

Thank you very much.
Bernhard Denner