puppetlabs-lvm & inconsistency of pv devices

Mike Langhorst

May 8, 2024, 7:09:09 PMMay 8
to Puppet Users
As we're migrating from RHEL 7 over to RHEL 9,  RedHat is stating that pv device order should not be expected to be consistent.

So how are users specifying to create the pv on RedHat systems now?  Really don't want to try and deal with UUID's, and would rather not have admins create the PV & volume group manually either.

Tim Mooney

May 8, 2024, 7:38:13 PMMay 8
to Puppet Users
In regard to: [Puppet Users] puppetlabs-lvm & inconsistency of pv devices,...:

> As we're migrating from RHEL 7 over to RHEL 9, RedHat is stating that pv
> device order should not be expected to be consistent.

LVM also no longer defaults to importing existing PVs that have been
preserved from a previous install:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/6717161

> So how are users specifying to create the pv on RedHat systems now? Really
> don't want to try and deal with UUID's, and would rather not have admins
> create the PV & volume group manually either.

I've struggled with that question too, so I look forward to hearing what
other sites are doing.

I've also never been sure what the best practice is for where these
type of host-specific resources should be in the overall class hierarchy.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney Tim.M...@ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /