Collecting exported defined-type resources fails on "stand alone"/serverless puppet nodes

Sage Imel

Nov 30, 2022, 11:13:12 AM11/30/22
to Puppet Users
 I'm having an issue where attempts to collect exported resources of defined types fails, when following the instructions here for how to connect stand alone nodes to puppetdb https://puppet.com/docs/puppetdb/7/connect_puppet_apply.html#manage-routesyaml

Very concise example is:
fab01:~# cat example.pp
define example (
) {
}

@@example {"example":
}

Example <<|  |>>
fab01:~# puppet apply --confdir=/opt/cat/puppet/etc/puppet example.pp
Error: Could not find type Example on node fab01.cecs.pdx.edu

The failure seems rooted in the ral resource indirector, example routes.yaml:

---
apply:
 catalog:
   terminus: compiler
   cache: puppetdb
 resource:
   terminus: ral
   cache: puppetdb
 facts:
   terminus: facter
   cache: puppetdb_apply

Thanks,

Sage Imel

Sage Imel

Dec 1, 2022, 12:38:26 AM12/1/22
to Puppet Users
Follow up on this. Looks like this was noticed in 2015 or so and was closed as "wont-fix" https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/si/jira.issueviews:issue-html/PUP-2627/PUP-2627.html The documentation should probably updated to not suggest using the ral resource terminus in this case if it's known to not work...

Aside from that I'm kind of curious now where the ral resource terminus is used where rejecting non-native types is desired. Is this only for the `puppet resource` command?