Reminder: Bread and Puppet in DC This Wed. 4/19: 7 PM

Puppet Underground

Apr 17, 2017, 5:13:48 PM4/17/17
to puppet-un...@googlegroups.com
Remember to come out this Wednesday to see Bread and Puppet perform!

They will be in town for one show only!!
  Wednesday, April 19th, 7 pm
at St. Stephen and the Incarnation Episcopal Church- 1525 Newton St NW, WDC 20010 (corner of 16th and Newton NW)

Suggested donation: $10-$25, no one turned away for lack of funds.
Shows at St. Stephen's have reached capacity in the past, so make sure to get there early if you want a seat!

Bread & Puppet Theater is touring this spring with a new play, Faust 3, a proletarian rumination on displacement, heaven, and satisfaction in the tradition of Medieval Faust puppet shows and Goethe’s epic verse drama.

As thematically and formally diverse as Goethe's Faust 1 and 2, Bread and Puppet’s Faust 3 draws its public through a dreamlike succession of scenes depicting various aspects of proletarian experience in our time: from refugee migration, to the ubiquity of the gun; from the hunger that accompanies food product diversity, to the daily experience of factory workers, the rebellion of prisoners, and the adoration of the sun. "Faust 3" himself is played by a small hand-puppet, darting between the hopper and the spout of a giant grain mill. A phalanx of black folding chairs menaces the masses with its resolutions of pity. The arms of a giant blue embracing puppet fill the stage. Lubberland choral dancers hop, wiggle, and whistle. And a purple brass band arrives to jitter levity into the feet of the population.

After the performance Bread and Puppet will serve its famous free sourdough rye bread with aioli, and Bread and Puppet’s “Cheap Art” – books, posters, postcards, pamphlets and banners from the Bread and Puppet Press – will be for sale.

The Bread and Puppet Practitioners-Of-The-Pursuit-Of-What String Band will welcome the public.

For more information on the event, please visihttp://breadandpuppet.org/

Please contact Josh Krugman (jrkr...@gmail.com; 802-525-3031) with further questions, and Amelia Castillo (amelia....@gmail.com; 802-525-3031) for interview.  Full press release attached.

Bread & Puppet Theater is an internationally celebrated company that champions a visually rich, street-theater brand of performance art filled with music, dance and slapstick. Its shows are political and spectacular, with huge puppets made of paper maché and cardboard. Founded in 1963 by Peter Schumann on New York City's Lower East Side, the theater has been based in the North East Kingdom of Vermont since the early 1970s.

WHO IS PUPPET UNDERGROUND?
We are a puppeteer's collective in DC committed to using art and performance to support movements and grassroots organizing for social and economic justice. We offer community art workshops, street theater shows, puppets, stilters, and help developing creative organizing strategies. We also do occasional public performances and bring touring puppet shows to DC.

Like us on Facebook!: https://www.facebook.com/PuppetUnderground

To contact us, send email to: PuppetUnd...@gmail.com

Bread and Puppet Faust 3 Press Release D.C..docx