Update about Puppet Enterprise release model

Puppet Product Updates

Mar 19, 2020, 8:23:30 PM3/19/20

Hello,

As we move to a more frequent release cadence, we wanted to highlight a few things to provide additional clarity with our new update model.

We released update 5 for PE 2019 today to address a fix for a CVE-2020-7943. This is a security fix that would have been included as a “Z” release based on our previous release model. With our new update model, any fixes or updates that would have been considered as part of a Z release in the past will now be shipped in the form of a Puppet Enterprise Update.

In the new update model for Puppet Enterprise we plan to update quarterly at a minimum but may update more often to address critical fixes, security issues or get a great new feature we’ve been working on out to you as soon as it’s ready.

Staying on the latest update of Puppet Enterprise means you are up-to-date on critical fixes and the latest features. More frequent releases mean you have a smaller delta of changes to update to and therefore less risk.

Our goal is to always provide the best, least risky way to help you eliminate soul crushing work and get you the most value as fast as we can. Knowing that we can do better, we are prioritizing product improvements to the update process to ensure that you spend less time updating and are confident your environment will remain stable after you apply it.

If you’re interested in giving us feedback on the current process or the improvements to the update process we’re planning, please send an email to PEPr...@puppet.com.

Check out our blog about the new release cadence here.

--

Nirupama Manthahttp://www.puppet.com |
Senior Technical Program Manager