Pass iPXE network info to MicroKernel?

Alan P

Apr 13, 2018, 7:54:19 PM4/13/18
to puppet-razor
Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered previously. But I'm trying to create automation for my physical server builds and I have no access to PXE or DHCP. I have gotten to the point where I can load a custom iPXE image that creates the network connection and does chainload the microkernel. However, it looks like I'm stuck at that point now as the microkernel loses the networking.

Is there a way to pass the networking info to the microkernel so it can load via static IP?

Thanks,

Alan

Scott McClellan

Apr 19, 2018, 3:11:47 PM4/19/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

Does the microkernel have any networking, or is it just failing to connect to the Razor server because it doesn't have the right IP?

Before the microkernel boots, it receives some kernel arguments from the Razor server that tell the MK how to register itself with the Razor server. It might be worthwhile to modify the kernel arguments in the microkernel/boot.erb file. You can add arguments via Razor's microkernel.kernel_args config.yaml value.

Another bit that might help, you can log into the microkernel by using the default credentials, which are `root` and password `thincrust`. From there, you can check out the `mk` command, e.g. `mk config register` to see what URL Razor is using to register itself. The `mk register` command will attempt registration (although it's happening in the background automatically).

If it seems like a networking issue in the microkernel, not having any access, it could be worth looking at the Microkernel repo for how that works. The MK is a tiny CentOS 7 image with some modifications to report facts to the Razor server.

Hope that helps!

Scott

Lee Turchin

Apr 3, 2019, 12:07:08 PM4/3/19
to puppet-razor
Hi Scott,

I did as you suggested.  Logged into microkernel and ran mk config register for a UEFI Server 2016 install and got back

which correlates to the current node22 that is in use by razor.

But the microkernel has booted back into itself without trying to go to either the local SATA or the SAN disks.

What other methods can I try to get that going.

Thank youj,

Lee

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM Alan P <transce...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered previously. But I'm trying to create automation for my physical server builds and I have no access to PXE or DHCP. I have gotten to the point where I can load a custom iPXE image that creates the network connection and does chainload the microkernel. However, it looks like I'm stuck at that point now as the microkernel loses the networking.

Is there a way to pass the networking info to the microkernel so it can load via static IP?

Thanks,

Alan

Scott McClellan

Apr 3, 2019, 1:18:23 PM4/3/19
to puppet-razor
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:07 AM Lee Turchin <ltur...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Scott,

I did as you suggested.  Logged into microkernel and ran mk config register for a UEFI Server 2016 install and got back

which correlates to the current node22 that is in use by razor.

But the microkernel has booted back into itself without trying to go to either the local SATA or the SAN disks.

What other methods can I try to get that going.

Hi Lee,

What is returned on the Razor server if you run `razor nodes node22 log`?

What I suspect is happening is that the node's iPXE call to /svc/boot may not be supplying enough information for Razor to know that a node already exists in its system. If you take a look at the bootstrap.ipxe template, this line adds dhcp_mac, serial, uuid, and asset as query parameters for /svc/boot. Razor needs the /svc/boot request's query parameters to uniquely identify the node in order to progress past the microkernel.

Hope that helps,
Scott

Lee Turchin

Apr 5, 2019, 9:22:07 AM4/5/19
to puppet-razor

Hi Scott,

That's great information  We will add that line into the bootstrap ipxe template as soon as we complete our lab migration.

I will post the results at my earliest convenience.

Thank you,

Lee