Windows Server 2016 Razor UEFI 2nd stage Issues

Lee Turchin

Mar 27, 2019, 6:44:04 PM3/27/19
to puppet-razor
Hi Scott,

For some reason, the 2nd stage Razor automation process does not work for Windows Server 2016.  I see the microkernel installation succeed and I watch a reboot occur.
However, I then see a replay of the microkernel happening and no boot to SAN or anything viable.

My unattended.xml.erb is hard coded and attached here.
I have deleted the old leases that dnsmasq created and done a razor reinstall-node to free up the node each time.
We do a systemctl restart dnsmasq to get a fresh ip address pool (which only has 2 ip's right now).

Are there some UEFI settings that I need to configure in order to get Samba and the repo to start the Windows setup process?

I am able to create a Samba share if I do a manual Windows 2016 installation via the repo share after a WinPE boot.  The automation though, hangs.

We are also interested in doing multiple server installations via razor.  Can we get that done with open source?

Thank you for your help in the matter.

Lee Turchin

unattended.xml.erb.efi.xml

Scott McClellan

Apr 3, 2019, 1:33:31 PM4/3/19
to puppet-razor
On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 3:44 PM Lee Turchin <ltur...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Scott,

For some reason, the 2nd stage Razor automation process does not work for Windows Server 2016.  I see the microkernel installation succeed and I watch a reboot occur.
However, I then see a replay of the microkernel happening and no boot to SAN or anything viable.

Hi Lee,

I replied in the other thread, but the issue could be that the /svc/boot isn't including the right query parameters for Razor to know the node has already registered.

My unattended.xml.erb is hard coded and attached here.
I have deleted the old leases that dnsmasq created and done a razor reinstall-node to free up the node each time.
We do a systemctl restart dnsmasq to get a fresh ip address pool (which only has 2 ip's right now).

Are there some UEFI settings that I need to configure in order to get Samba and the repo to start the Windows setup process?

I am able to create a Samba share if I do a manual Windows 2016 installation via the repo share after a WinPE boot.  The automation though, hangs.

We are also interested in doing multiple server installations via razor.  Can we get that done with open source?

Are you referring to having multiple nodes running as a Razor server? The process to install more nodes should be the same as installing a single node. Your bootstrap process will just need a way for nodes to determine which Razor server to contact.

Thank you for your help in the matter.

Lee Turchin

Lee Turchin

Apr 4, 2019, 9:11:00 AM4/4/19
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

I will check the other thread.  Not having multiple nodes running.  The same node performs a continual reboot to microkernel and I never see the boot.wim load.  The razor node never attaches to the policy.

What query parameters do you suggest for svc/boot ?  If you have already answered this question, please send me the link.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Lee

Lee Turchin

Jun 3, 2019, 5:21:14 PM6/3/19
to puppet-razor
Hi Scott-

Please refer to attachment.  Let me know if you have a solution--still working on  Windows UEFI Server 2016 installation with razor.

"wimboot..no such file or directory"

The node does bind to a policy and after a kernel load and reboot, the above error appears before the boot.wim file is loaded.

I see many references in Google search.  Do I need to adjust/change the way the boot.wim file is created?  Or make changes to the bootstrap.ipxe file?

I have tried adding the wimboot file to various repo folders, to no avail.

Thank you in advance,

Lee
wimboot-error-uefi.JPG

Lee Turchin

Jun 4, 2019, 6:42:39 PM6/4/19
to puppet-razor
Good news here !! The issue turned out to be a corrupted erb file that I was able to replace from an untouched razor server.  After that, the UEFI Windows Server install completed.  I will need, however, to make some adjustments to the unattended.xml.erb file since Windows installed to the D: drive and not the C:

Thanks for your patience, and of course, my own !!! ;)

Lee

Lee Turchin

Jun 4, 2019, 7:04:36 PM6/4/19
to puppet-razor
Hi Scott,
In case you didn't see my update, I successfully installed Windows 2016 Server/UEFI on a Hitachi Quanta DS120 using Razor.  There were some real challenges in this but all of them have become learning experiences.  Your input and that of others in the various threads and requests was/is invaluable.  Thanks again.  Keep the group going.
Regards,
Lee