New Microkernel?

Tim Bishop

Jun 27, 2019, 7:30:48 AM6/27/19
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've had trouble building a new server using the existing Microkernel
(lack of support for the network cards in it). I followed the
instructions in the razor-el-mk repository to build a new copy using the
latest CentOS 7 and this worked fine.

So, I'm just wondering if it's time to build and release a new
Microkernel version for everybody to make sure newer hardware is
covered?

Tim.

--
Tim Bishop
http://www.bishnet.net/tim/

Brian McNally

Jun 27, 2019, 12:48:10 PM6/27/19
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

We had a similar problem where hosts wouldn't boot at all to the
microkernel and ended up fixing it by dropping in a newer iPXE network
boot firmware from ipxe.org. I would agree that the microkernel and the
boot firmware should be kept up to date as much as possible though. It
doesn't seem like the Puppet Razor server components are heavily used,
so maybe they've lagged behind.

--
Brian McNally

Scott McClellan

Jun 28, 2019, 6:13:04 PM6/28/19
to puppet-razor
Thanks for the thread! I just compiled a new version of the microrkernel, and will release (i.e. update the `razor-microkernel-latest` link) on Monday. This version is based on CentOS 7.6.1810. Feel free to take a preview here:

I have tested this MK locally, but let me know if you have questions or hit any issues with this version.

Scott

Lee Turchin

Jun 28, 2019, 8:16:59 PM6/28/19
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott.  A lot of your other instructions/docs/etc. are completely outdated.
Please get the spade work done.  Otherwise

Lee Turchin

Jun 28, 2019, 8:18:04 PM6/28/19
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
we will be forced to use the Puppet/Enterprise version.  :)