Still a few seats available for Mar 14th "Open Source Clouds" Talk

1 view

Brian Gupta

Feb 28, 2013, 11:29:23 PM2/28/13
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings/

We're trying to get more seats opened up so please don't be
discouraged if we are already on a waiting list when you get this.

Here are the full details:

Thursday, March 14, 2013
6:15 PM

Google Chelsea Market Office
75 Ninth Ave, Floor 2, New York, NY (edit map)

Enter the building at the “Chelsea Market” entrance. Immediately to
your right will be a stairs and elevator. Take it to the 2nd floor.
Joe Brockmeier, Greg DeKoenigsberg and Mark Atwood
- on -
Open Source Private Clouds with CloudStack, Eucalyptus and OpenStack

Note: We will be starting a little early and going later than usual.
(About 2.5 hours) Please try to come a little early as we will be
starting on schedule and moving right into the presentations. We are
also asking if attendees can hold their questions for the panel
session. RSVP will open February 28, 2013 Thursday 6:15pm.

As cloud computing has become more than a passing fad, enterprises
large and small, have found a need to build their own in-house
“private” IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) clouds. Navigating which
technologies to use to build these clouds, can be a challenge, as a
handful of Open Source software platforms have come to prominence, and
may seem very similar to the uninitiated.

We are honored to have speakers from all three leading Open Source
IaaS platforms, CloudStack, Eucalyptus and OpenStack, to help us
understand their platforms. Each speaker will give a quick 30-40
minute overview of their project, including history, strengths, ideal
use cases and future direction. After each speaker has had a chance to
talk about their project, we will host a panel session, opening up
questions to the audience.

Links:
CloudStack - http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/
Eucalyptus - http://www.eucalyptus.com/
OpenStack - http://www.openstack.org/

Speaker Bios:
Joe Brockmeier - CloudStack
Joe Brockmeier is a open source evangelist for Citrix and committer on
the Apache CloudStack project. Joe has also worked for Novell as the
openSUSE community manager, and has a long history of involvement with
open source. He has also spent many years working as a technology
journalist, and has written for ReadWriteWeb, Linux.com, LWN, Linux
Magazine, NetworkWorld, ZDNet, and many others.

Greg DeKoenigsberg - Eucalyptus
DeKoenigsberg brings to Eucalyptus over a decade of open source
advocacy and community leadership, with the majority of this time
spent building and leading communities for open source leader Red Hat.
While at Red Hat, DeKoenigsberg served in various community leadership
roles, including senior community architect and project lead for the
Fedora open source project. He also chaired the first Fedora Board,
created and chaired the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee and
Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee, and founded the Fedora Cloud
SIG in January 2010. In addition, DeKoenigsberg has authored works
such as the textbook, “Practical Open Source Software Engineering,”
and he was a contributing editor and the voice of “Ask Shadowman” for
Red Hat Magazine from 2004 to 2007.

Mark Atwood - OpenStack
Mark Atwood has been a long-time contributor to open source. He
describes his job as "learning amazing stuff and meeting amazing
people, and then introducing them all to each other". His technology
interests include Open Source Development Methodology, Cloud
Computing, and Open Source Databases. He is currently the Director of
Open Source Evangelism for HP Cloud Services. He has been the Open
Source Advocate for Red Hat OpenShift, the Community Manager for
Eucalyptus Systems, the Director of Community Development for Gear6
Memcached, and the Senior Technology Advisor for NetworkDotCom at Sun
Microsystems. He is a coauthor of the OAuth Core specification. He
makes his home in Seattle USA, with an annual trip to his other home
in Black Rock City.

Stammtisch - After the meeting ... Join us around 9:00 PM or so at
McKenna's Pub at 250 West 14th Street for some additional conversation
and drinks.

Thanks,
Brian