RSVP open: Th. Jul 11: NYLUG presents James Turnbull on Logstash

Brian Gupta

Jun 27, 2013, 5:56:54 PM6/27/13
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings/events/82182112/

Thursday, July 11, 2013
6:30 PM

Google Chelsea Market Office
75 Ninth Ave, Floor 2, New York, NY

Enter the building at the “Chelsea Market” entrance. Immediately to
your right will be a stairs and elevator. Take it to the 2nd floor.

James Turnbull

-on-

LogStash: Yes, Logging Can Be Awesome

Logging. Everyone does it. Many without even knowing why they do it.
It is considered a boring chore. A chore that is done by habit rather
than for a purpose and one that does little more than consume CPU
cycles and arrays of disks. Too many log environments are build with
the maxim:

“We should keep those logs in case we need them for something.”

Rather than:

“Those logs tell use critical things about our applications and
infrastructure.”

But logging doesn’t have to be a chore or a purposeless exercise.
Logging can be a core and critical part of your Development and
Operations activities that adds value and helps you be more efficient,
effective and identify and resolve issues faster.

This session will show you how to do logging right with open source
framework LogStash. We’ll learn how to build a scalable, performant
and useful open source logging environment. You’ll see how to
structure your events, give them context and make them available to
search and consume by developers and operations staff. LogStash will
change the way you think (and how much you care!) about logging.
You’ll certainly never think logging is boring again.*

* Actual thoughts may vary.

Links:

Logstash - http://www.logstash.net

Bio:

James is an author and open source geek. James authored The LogStash
Book and two books about Puppet (Pro Puppet and the earlier book about
Puppet.) He is also the author of three other books including Pro
Linux System Administration, Pro Nagios 2.0, and Hardening Linux.

For a real job, James is VP of Tech Ops for Puppet Labs. He likes
food, wine, books, photography and cats. He is not overly keen on long
walks on the beach and holding hands.