RSVP open - Jun 19th - Dynamic Orchestration w/ PuppetDB, Puppet 3.0, and an Intro to CloudFormation

Andres Pereira

Jun 15, 2013, 4:02:39 PM6/15/13
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
RSVP here http://www.meetup.com/puppetnyc-meetings/events/124748672

When? Wednesday, June 19, 2013 , 7:00 PM

Location:
The Ladders
137 Varick St. 8th Floor, New York, NY

Dynamic Orchestration w/ PuppetDB, Puppet 3.0, and an Intro to CloudFormation

We will be having three talks:

1) Dynamic Orchestration without using Exported Resources by Rob Terhaar

2) Puppet 3.0 mini-review by James Sweeney

3) "Spinning up a Stack" an Introduction to AWS CloudFormation by Brian Gupta (time permitting)

Talk 1:

Rob Terhaar will be speaking about how to use the Puppet DB query module to lookup data from puppetdb, e.g.,(https://github.com/dalen/puppet-puppetdbquery )

An example: Let's say we wanted to get a list of the IP addresses from all of the nodes in our environment, where fact role is "nagios", and the made-up size fact is "large"
$nagios_ips = query_nodes('role=nagios and size=large', ipaddress)
The talk itself would be some examples like that, and discussion about what's happening under the covers and a couple of examples how it can be practically used.

Talk 2:

James will be giving our group a quick overview of the new features and changes in Puppet 3.0.

Talk 3:

"Spinning up a Stack" an Introduction to AWS CloudFormation by Brian Gupta

CloudFormation gives developers and system administrators an easy way to describe and provision collections of AWS resources. In thispresentation, we'll breakdown what CloudFormation is, the components of CloudFormation, and give a live demonstration of CloudFormation in use.

We'll also share some example code, answer questions, and walk through the process of creating and managing your own templates.

Links:
- Forums: https://forums.aws.amazon.com/
- Docs: http://aws.amazon.com/documentation/cloudformation/
- Examples: http://aws.amazon.com/cloudformation/aws-cloudformation-templates/

Other talks are welcome.

After the meeting some of us will be heading to a local watering hole.

--puppet-nyc