Couldn't resolve reference to module

Roderick Day

Feb 18, 2016, 6:52:50 PM2/18/16
to Puppet Geppetto

Original problem

See screenshot below.

My code is laid out like so on disk

common/modules
environments/dev/modules

I've got a workspace located at

environments/dev/modules

I've imported into the workspace (from local disk) a module I have (puppetlabs-nodejs) which is located in environments/dev/modules
I've also imported another module into the workspace (from local disk) that I have (puppetlabs-stdlib) which is located in common/modules

As the screenshot shows, the dependency listing in metadata.json for the puppetlabs-nodejs module errors out saying "Couldn't resolve reference to Module 'puppetlabs/stdlib'."

What gives?

More info
  • Each module came from the Forge
  • Each module has Puppet Nature (confirmed by looking at the .project for each)
  • Geppetto 4.3.1
  • Eclipse Colorer 0.9.9

Things I have tried

I am still getting the error.

Related (?) Problem
In troubleshooting the above issue, I cleared out all the geppetto related files, caches, preferences, workspace files, etc. Then I downloaded geppetto, colorer, and the two modules, set up a file structure exactly the same as before, started geppetto, made a new workspace in the same location as before (environments/dev/modules), imported the two modules and all was well. UNTIL, I edited the metatdata.json file. I added a space at the end and then deleted it. This caused the same error to occur and stay present until I closed the file a reopened it.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 18.02.17 .png

Henrik Lindberg

Feb 18, 2016, 7:14:00 PM2/18/16
to puppet-...@googlegroups.com
The names of each project must match the names of the modules.
Each project must have the puppet nature turned on. (Right click over project, or just open a .pp file in that project - IIRC later versions of Geppetto then
turns on the puppet nature automatically). It is an entry in the context meny for the project anyway; you can use that to toggle it on/off).

After doing that, do a build clean (from the projects menu). That gets rid of the old cached state and starts over).

Try importing a module directly from the forge to see how it lays out a project for that module. Then mimic that with your hand crafted projects.

- henrik

<Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 18.02.17 .png>

Roderick Day

Feb 19, 2016, 2:24:53 PM2/19/16
to Puppet Geppetto
Herik,
Thanks for getting back to me.

Confirmed that projects have the same name as modules.
Per my original post each project has Puppet Nature.
Built clean, did not change the behavior.

Deleting stdlib form disk and importing via Puppet Forge did change the behavior this morning (9:00a EST) Edits could be made without generating an error. 4-5 hours later (now-ish, 2:20p EST) and the error is back and no amount of Building clean and/or restarting Geppetto is resolving the error. In fact I am back to the original error where it won't go away even when i close and reopen the file.

Thanks,
Roderick Day

Henrik Lindberg

Feb 19, 2016, 5:02:23 PM2/19/16
to puppet-...@googlegroups.com
That is not good. I think this looks like a bug. Can you report this on the Puppetlabs Jira for project Geppetto ? (GEP).

When you get this problem. If you do a clean, and then restart Geppetto, does that help?

- henrik

Roderick Day

Feb 22, 2016, 8:58:10 AM2/22/16
to Puppet Geppetto
Henrik,
Thanks for getting back to me again. I've submitted a bug here with detail: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/GEP-250.
Thanks,
Roderick Day

Roderick Day

Feb 22, 2016, 10:07:11 AM2/22/16
to Puppet Geppetto

Henrik Lindberg

Feb 22, 2016, 11:36:19 AM2/22/16
to puppet-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking time to report the problems.

Regards
- henrik