Geppetto won't start: Failed to load the JNI shared library ...jvm.dll

James Andrews

May 11, 2015, 5:47:23 AM5/11/15
to puppet-...@googlegroups.com
I would guess this related to java on my Windows 7 PC updating itself

When I turned on my PC last week, Geppetto would not start.  I tried reinstalling java as this has fixed this problem in the past.  This did not work.
I tried downloading the latest version of java (1.8.0_45) and trying that.  This did not work.
I tried a 32 bit version of java.  This did not work
I tried adding the "-vm" option to geppetto.ini as suggested on Stackoverflow.  This did not work
I've rebooted the PC. This did not work
I've moved the jvm into the geppetto folder.  This did not work

When I say "did not work" It comes up with a message similar to this immediately after the geppetto program is double clicked to run it.
"Failed to load the JNI shared library "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin\client\jvm.dll"

This was working a couple of weeks ago but it isn't now

I don't like using Windows 7 but this is a standard workstation thing at work.  I need to be able to use Geppetto as other people are using it here and I am supposed to be the puppet support person.

Thanks

Thomas Hallgren

May 11, 2015, 6:55:24 AM5/11/15
to puppet-...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that you have some old environment setting or installation on the machine that confuses the java bootstrap procedure. I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall all Java variants on the machine.
2. Check that your PATH environment variable doesn't contain any traces of Java.
3. Remove any tweaks you've done to the geppetto.ini
4. Reboot.
5. Install the latest 64-bit version of the JVM using the proper installer.

HTH,
- thomas

James Andrews

May 14, 2015, 10:13:28 AM5/14/15
to puppet-...@googlegroups.com
Thomas's suggestion below was part of the solution I found

The JVM I installed that worked for me was a full SDK and not just a JRE