Release Announcement: Puppet 8.4.0 and 7.28.0

Puppet Product Updates

Jan 18, 2024, 5:11:45 PMJan 18
to Puppet Announce, puppet...@googlegroups.com

We’ve all been there. We have a Puppet-managed node behaving weirdly. It’s almost like it’s not always getting the same catalog as the other nodes. But why? And for that matter, how do we know that only that one node is affected?

Previously, this kind of sporadic error was difficult to track down, especially if you use any kind of load balancing. You had to trace a run across several network nodes and do some sleuthing to figure out which compiler actually handled each request. But as of Puppet 8.4.0 and 7.28.0, there’s new logging to help you troubleshoot. Now during each run, the agent will log the server it talks to, and it will log the compiler that created the catalog. This will make it far easier to track down anomalies, especially if you use an aggregator like Splunk to analyze logs across your infrastructure.

Of course, that’s not all this release contains. We’ve updated several libraries and resource providers, and there’s a whole slew of bug fixes. But for those, you should read the release notes!

·         Puppet 8.4.0 release notes

·         Puppet 7.28.0 release notes

When you’re ready to upgrade your infrastructure, just head over to docs and follow the instructions for Puppet 8 or for Puppet 7.

Happy Puppeteering!

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.