Scripts for ePrime

hught...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2017, 4:49:48 PM10/9/17
to pupil-discuss
Hi, I'm a psychology student and I am very fascinated with the pupil lab glasses. It records pupillometry smoothly. I never done any coding so I don't understand how to write a script for the recording. I plan on synchronizing pupil capture with ePrime (psychology software designing basic experiment). What I want to find out is that

1. I want pupil capture to only record on specific trials. For example, participant see a picture, it records for x amount of seconds then finish recording for that trial. A fixation point pops up for participant to readjust, but no recording during this period because not interested yet. As soon as a trial begins, it starts recording, when participant presses a key to input an answer it stop recording.

2. I know each time I hit record and end the recording, the software creates a separate folder for every discrete recordings. Since I will have multiple recordings from just 1 participant, is it possible to compile all recordings for 1 participant under 1 folder. Like a participant is given an id, and i want pupil capture to save all the recordings under that id. Since multiple trials within each block of the experiment requires many separate recordings; it would be nice if everything is stored under the same folder and not many separate folders.

Rafael Picanço

Jan 10, 2018, 12:53:11 AM1/10/18
to pupil-discuss

1) I would recommend python scripting for post processing of your recordings (you can see an example here: https://github.com/cpicanco/abpmc-2016 and here https://github.com/cpicanco/fpfn-analysis).

2) May I ask why not recording inter trial intervals/starters? I would recommend using calibration markers as starters, putting them in different locations along the session, and instruct participants to look at markers before pressing a button to start the trial. They may be useful for calibration fine tuning.

3) I would recommend to keep your recordings sessions under 20 min length, due to calibration deterioration, as well as to memory and loading time concerns.

4) I would recommend always save eye videos

5) To improve your chances of excelent calibration, I would recommend using more then 9 points for calibration and to record people rolling their eyes during some time (to feed the 3d detector).