Wheel Rotation Punto

M John

May 30, 2010, 1:44:02 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I bought an extra alloy rim for my Emo pack so that I could do the 5 way wheel rotation. I was planning to do this every 6000km as recommended on JK Tyres webpage- essentially a cross rotation. The Punto owners handbook (page 152) states "To allow even wear between the front and rear tyres, it is advisable to change them every 15 thousand km, keeping them on the same side of the car so as not to reverse the direction of rotation". This indicates that a cross rotation is to be avoided. Can anyone throw more light on this subject?
Johnny

jumu

May 30, 2010, 10:12:32 AM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
Johny,

Pls dont go for cross rotation. It is not worth it. I did and I regret
now. I am trying to reverse it now but am not sure whether it will
ever be the same again.

Abdul

On May 30, 10:44 am, M John <many.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I bought an extra alloy rim for my Emo pack so that I could do the 5 way
> wheel rotation. I was planning to do this every 6000km as recommended on JK
> Tyres webpage- essentially a cross rotation. The Punto owners handbook (page
> 152) states "To allow even wear between the front and rear tyres, it is
> advisable to change them every 15 thousand km,* keeping them on the same
> side of the car so as not to reverse the direction of rotation"*. This

VahanPujari

May 30, 2010, 11:00:14 AM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
Johny

The manual is right. DO not change the sides in tyre rotation. I
learnt it the hard way

Amit

vks

May 30, 2010, 2:09:31 PM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
Hello,

Please throw some more light to this Hard learning, what happens? I
was planning to do this next weekend as I am nearing 6 k...

Regards,
Sujith
> > > Johnny- Hide quoted text -

Roy Johnson

May 30, 2010, 2:31:24 PM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com

More details on the issues please. Changing sides will be an issue with uni directional tyres, afaik, stock tyres coming with punto are bi-directional.
I did a five tyre rotation at a little over 5000km, and has now reached 10000. No issues noticed so far. I  have mjd e running on stock bridgestone shoes. And I am planning my next rotation this week.

~Roy

sent from Android mobile device

On May 30, 8:00 pm, VahanPujari <vahanpuj...@gmail.com> wrote: > Johny > > The manual is right. DO ...

> > > Johnny- Hide quoted text -

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Punto Users Group In...

CHA0S

May 30, 2010, 4:02:40 PM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
During the camp, vahanpujari, me and 2 more friends of mine met
together and had a discussion with the engineer, one of the topic was
on the stock (GT3) tyres which was on the tyre noise (1.4 owners major
complaint on concrete and high speed roads) and the tyre wear and the
rotation??

The engineer also bought along a Goodyear representative (useless),
the engineer said, never cross rotate. only front - back - front (left
stays on left, right on right)
We asked about the spare, the engineer said it wont matter much, as
the tyre's are tubeless (would run even with puncture without need of
spare), we would use the spare for shorter durations for its life
(only when the puncture tyre deflates 100%), and besides 3 alloys and
1 pressed steel wont look good... emotion pk users..

The reason for the front - back rotation was the wear due to the
alignment setting. He said the front wheels wear in a particular
pattern (with proper alignment), crossing them will ruin the setting,
and when you bring back the tyres to their original position (on 2nd
time rotation) the car would go to the left/right (symptoms of
alignment need) even with proper alignment. The uneven tread wear
would be the cause..

so the spare would be useless on rotation...

His personal rotation advice was 7-8,000 kms (2 times in 1 service
interval) or every 5,000 kms (3 times in 1 service interval) both are
ok. But 2 times done saves time without any harm (ruling out regular
wear)

BTW this alignment issue if crossed rotated might be noticeable on the
highway only (long straight roads), not in the city!!

Oh and a NOTE: this is not a reason for the infamous left pulling
alignment issue with brand new punto's.... (this is a completely
different story irrelevant in this discussion here)

So please do not confuse that left pulling alignment issue with this
tyre wear/rotation issue.

NO misUNDERSTANDINGs!!!

Oh and the goodyear representative said the GT3 will be noisy. Made
that way. So we gotta live with that till we change the rubber...

CHA0S

May 30, 2010, 4:07:57 PM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
During this meeting, i had already rotated my tyres in cross!!! but it
was my first rotation. (front wheels to rear in cross, but rear to
front NOT cross)

not to worry...

So he advised me to remember to rotate the front wheels of the same
side to the rear on the same side, but cross rotate the rear to the
front..

wont do much harm as the rear wear evenly... and its just once.

But next time remember to rotate front to rear to front NOT cross!!

M John

May 30, 2010, 11:33:03 PM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys. I was planning the rotation next week. Will stick to same side rotation. As they say. The manual is always right.
Johnny

Roy Johnson

May 30, 2010, 11:44:21 PM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com

This does make sense.  Thank you.

~Roy

sent from Android mobile device

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Punto Users Group In...

AnanÐ

May 31, 2010, 3:13:57 AM5/31/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
ive yet to get the rotations done... my odo reads 9500 now....

Regards,
AnÐy

VahanPujari

May 31, 2010, 4:13:08 AM5/31/10
to Punto Users Group India

> Please throw some more light to this Hard learning, what happens? I
> was planning to do this next weekend as I am nearing 6 k...

Sujith - Ashay has explained my experience of learning it the hard way
(noticeable only on highway or speed beyond 60 kmph.

For more details, pls wait for one Day :) :) :)

Amit