Punto tyres and Central Locking For active Mjd

vipul

May 28, 2010, 2:27:04 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Hi! Everyone this is my First post so bear with me for any mistakes
i have Punto Mjd active bought in Sept 2009 in hyderabad from malik
cars i have already clocked 27000 km and so far no issue with car
except

1) My tyres worn out already so i need to replace the tyres so any one
can guide me which one to go for on stock 14" rims i drive 90% on
highways.and does the stock jk tornado life is that much only?

2) Central Locking for this model is not available any where in
hyderabad and i have also heard that after market central locking
creating lots of problem like self unlocking...etc. so is there any
solution for central locking dont know why fiat has not even provided
an option to fit central locking even it can fit in nano now the
cheapest car available its very irrtating to lock all dors one by one
atleast they should have given manual central locking even alto comes
with that.

mandeep

May 28, 2010, 2:57:52 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
yokohama a drives 195/65 r14s or continental premium contact 2 195/65 r14s
if you are into some spirited driving go for c drives which will give you a best of both worlds in terms of handling and riding comfort.
earlier the c drives were available only from 15 inch onwards, now they have also come up with 14 inchers.
s drives will also be good but i dont suggest them unless you are gonna do a lot of highspeed driving with a lot of cornering and stuff. you wont be justifying the money you put into the tires.
i've used the cpc2s on my swift earlier and they are like velcro, the car handles exceptionally well.
with the a drives you'll have a slightly quiter cabin.
i cant comment on central locks because i have an emopk where it comes fitted.
my tubbits

cheers
mandeep
99244 55500
93288 88500
valsad
“Keep thy eye on the tach, thine ears on the engine, least thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun”

Yashwanth

May 28, 2010, 3:01:41 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I own an MJD Active too,
Ive upgraded to 15inchers with Continental Contact 2 premium and completely swear by these. Amazing road grip and very very silent.

I recently installed xenon central locking on my car, since i purchased the car in aug 09, mine came fitted with actuators. I was going to install them even if there were no actuators. I have no issues with them, also know a lot of guys who installed xenos / crosslink on their cars.

Cheers
Yash

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:03:32 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thanks Very much for your input but 195/65R14 will fit properly in my
stock 5.5j rim?.i am not in to much of spritied driving and more in FE
as my weekly usage is around 1000km so looking for tyres which will
not impace FE and its good if they are less noisy as well.
> > punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:08:56 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thanks yashwant. by any chance do you have any idea where i can get
central lock fitted in hyderabad as i have already spoke to many
dealers and crosslinkwheel people they all said they cannot fit in for
punto active.
As for tyres did you bought new 15inch rims or alloys
On May 28, 12:01 pm, Yashwanth <yashwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I own an MJD Active too,
> Ive upgraded to 15inchers with Continental Contact 2 premium and completely
> swear by these. Amazing road grip and very very silent.
>
> I recently installed xenon central locking on my car, since i purchased the
> car in aug 09, mine came fitted with actuators. I was going to install them
> even if there were no actuators. I have no issues with them, also know a lot
> of guys who installed xenos / crosslink on their cars.
>
> Cheers
> Yash
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM, mandeep <epicenter.ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > yokohama a drives 195/65 r14s or continental premium contact 2 195/65 r14s
> > if you are into some spirited driving go for c drives which will give you a
> > best of both worlds in terms of handling and riding comfort.
> > earlier the c drives were available only from 15 inch onwards, now they
> > have also come up with 14 inchers.
> > s drives will also be good but i dont suggest them unless you are gonna do
> > a lot of highspeed driving with a lot of cornering and stuff. you wont be
> > justifying the money you put into the tires.
> > i've used the cpc2s on my swift earlier and they are like velcro, the car
> > handles exceptionally well.
> > with the a drives you'll have a slightly quiter cabin.
> > i cant comment on central locks because i have an emopk where it comes
> > fitted.
> > my tubbits
>
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM, vipul <vipuljai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi! Everyone this is my First post so bear with me for any mistakes
> >> i have Punto Mjd active bought in Sept 2009 in hyderabad from malik
> >> cars i have already clocked 27000 km and so far no issue with car
> >> except
>
> >> 1) My tyres worn out already so i need to replace the tyres so any one
> >> can guide me which one to go for on stock 14" rims i drive 90% on
> >> highways.and does the stock jk tornado life is that much only?
>
> >> 2) Central Locking for this model is not available any where in
> >> hyderabad and i have also heard that after market central locking
> >> creating lots of problem like self unlocking...etc. so is there any
> >> solution for central locking dont know why fiat has not even provided
> >> an option to fit central locking even it can fit in nano now the
> >> cheapest car available its very irrtating to lock all dors one by one
> >> atleast they should have given manual central locking even alto comes
> >> with that.
>
> >> --
>
> > --
> > cheers
> > mandeep
> > 99244 55500
> > 93288 88500
> > valsad
> > “Keep thy eye on the tach, thine ears on the engine, least thy whirlybits
> > seek communion with the sun”
>
> >  --
> > .
Message has been deleted

Yashwanth

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:14:15 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Have you noticed any drop in FE after upgrading tyres and alloys

On May 28, 12:12 pm, Yashwanth <yashwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not too sure about Hyd, you could try contacting Xenos, they have a
> nationwide network. I have put in 15inch alloys. These are Fiat Stock alloys
> though, so they are 98pcd.
>
> Regards
> Yash
>
> > <punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Yashwanth

May 28, 2010, 3:16:35 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Not at all, I used to get a city mileage between 13-17 . . depending on the way i drove. Its very much in the same range. the best mileage ive got is 25.6, when i drove to mysore and back.
this was with the 15inchers.

CHA0S

May 28, 2010, 3:23:31 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
27,000 kms??? wow. 2 oil change very close at that rate. i guess
vipul, your punto is one of the first to cover that!!
BTW, did you have the rotation done regularly at every 7-8,000 kms???

just curious to know if the tyre wear is normal or a outside factor..

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:26:32 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Great so i can upgrade to 15" as well thanks for your reply and i hope
you are not facing any issue with xenox central locking how old is
your central locking.

On May 28, 12:16 pm, Yashwanth <yashwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not at all, I used to get a city mileage between 13-17 . . depending on the
> way i drove. Its very much in the same range. the best mileage ive got is
> 25.6, when i drove to mysore and back.
> this was with the 15inchers.

> > <punto-users-group-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

Yashwanth

May 28, 2010, 3:28:31 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
No issues whatsoever, although mine is still under a month

Nitin Kumar

May 28, 2010, 3:29:37 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I spoke to SA to rotate tyres at every 5000 kms, my idea was for 5 tyre rotation. But he suggested me not to go with this as I've to go for allignement with tyre every rotation activity. Fiat's manual says that rotation is required at every 15000 kms. I though to follow Fiat Manual.

@Vipul, your car should have come with company fitted actuators. You can get CL installed from Xenos, Autocop etc.

Nitin

Nitin Kumar
Database Administrator
MphasiS, An HP Company
Cell: +91-9711009862

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:30:35 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
I think thats one of the problem i do have rotation but not that
frequent only at the time of service and tyres wear is very uneven
some tyres outside and other inside actually the problem is my usage
is more so have less time interval in between for maintanance like
8000 km will be coverd in one and half month as compare to others in
2-3 months

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:33:43 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thanks for the input nitin. but i have spoked to many dealers here all
said no even crosslink copmany technician said if you install in it
you will face lots of problem like self unlocking of lock

Nitin Kumar

May 28, 2010, 3:47:52 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Vipul, below is my exp with Xenos CL:

I also found my car unlocked couple of times but always in my parking area. My 2 year kid like to play with remote, I think that's the reason.

I had discussed the same with Xenos. They could find some earthing issue, I am not sure if its related as well.

I am observing since one week and not found my car unlocked. I'll observe some more time.

Apart from this, CL is working fine. I've sensors installed in all doors and engine cabin. These sensors are working absolutely fine. I never faced blinkers\alarm started in unwanted manner.

I can say that only those who are having company fitted actuators can go for CL.

Prior to installation, Xenos told me that they could install only if car has company fitted actuators.

Nitin

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:50:01 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Then how to make sure that i have company fitted acutators and how
much does that cl cost you
> > punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Nitin Kumar

May 28, 2010, 3:55:36 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Cost was Rs 3500 for 200A Firewall model. Our car are already Immoblizered so they need to install engine cut-off features.

I am having streao Protection, Auto re-lock, Reverse Gear  alarm etc. Its what I need.

Being Sep 2009 purchage, I am sure your car is having actuators installed. Mine is Oct 2009 Make and my car has company fitted actuator.

vipul

May 28, 2010, 3:58:44 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thanks for the help now i have to search someone here who can install
it.
> > <punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

mandeep

May 28, 2010, 4:08:30 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
yes they will fit without issues
if you wanna upgrade to 15 inchers, cpc2s wont do. then switch over to yokohama es100 db decibels 205/60 r15 and enjoy every moment of the drive.
they are the quitest tires available as of now. cost around 4.8k per tire afaik but with bigger tires, a tuning box and a k&n would be the perfect thing to have

vipul

May 28, 2010, 4:10:52 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
nitin by any chance your car has manual central locking as i spoke to
xenox people here they told me it should have manual central locking
then only it will work as mine doesnot have mannual c.l

vipul

May 28, 2010, 4:15:25 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
My main concern is FE anad i feel with 205 shoes FE will be drop and i
dont want that as my running is more (1000km/week) i am looking for
something which doesnt compromise on FE and Perform Fine as i didnt
have any issue with stock jk tornado perofmance.
> > <punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

mandeep

May 28, 2010, 4:22:43 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
i run about 6000 kilometers a month and my car has already done 20k since the last 4 odd months i've bought it...i am still running the stock tires with a tuning box and k&n and manage to get around 19 to 19.5 with the a/c on continuously. shifting to 205s will only bring it down by 1 kmpl max.

Nitin Kumar

May 28, 2010, 4:29:23 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Vipul,

Still their concern is about actuators. Manual CL gaurentee that your car is having company fitted actuators.

Just inform that your car is having company fitted actuators.

vipul

May 28, 2010, 4:32:19 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India

vipul

May 28, 2010, 5:00:11 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Does any one here have installed autocops c.l in punto active ?

vipul

May 28, 2010, 7:03:04 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Is there any punto active hyderabad owner here who have installed
central locking here as i cant find any dealer all are ready to
install if it has manual c.l even though i have told them there is
company fitted acutators in the car.

Vidooshak @Bangalore

May 28, 2010, 9:06:41 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Its amazing that 1 year since launch, Fiat is still unable to release
authorized CL accessory for the Active. In that case, they should
never have sold the model. Doesn't sound right that engineers who made
such a dream machine like the Punto can't solve a niggling issue like
CL?

Even I am looking for good aftermarket CL and Stereo because the Fiat
one seems overpriced. Anyone bought the Fiat stereo for Active? Does
it have USB and good audio?

Jam

Mohit Kumar

May 28, 2010, 9:59:23 AM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Jam,

Same old story from Fiat Officials.  The R&D department is yet to come out with a compatible CL for Active 1.2.  Its one year now....its time for a celebration

Its always better to go and check out the market to get whatever you want in terms of stereo.  Atleast, you would have a variety to choose from.

Mohit

Mohit Kumar
813.gif
814.gif
81F.gif
983.gif

vipul

May 28, 2010, 10:52:37 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
i think its not that they cant come up with central locking what i
feel is they dont want to come up with that.

On May 28, 6:59 pm, Mohit Kumar <mohi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jam,
>
> Same old story from Fiat Officials.  The R&D department is yet to come out
> with a compatible CL for Active 1.2.  Its one year now....its time for a
> celebration [?][?][?][?][?][?]
>
> Its always better to go and check out the market to get whatever you want in
> terms of stereo.  Atleast, you would have a variety to choose from.
>
> Mohit
>
> > a%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com <a%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> > ndia%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<ndia%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> > ndia%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<ndia%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> > -india%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com<india%2525252Bu...@googlegroups.com>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/punto-users-group-india?hl=en.

> > a%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com <a%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> > ndia%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<ndia%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> read more »
>
>  813.gif
> < 1KViewDownload
>
>  814.gif
> 1KViewDownload
>
>  81F.gif
> < 1KViewDownload
>
>  983.gif
> < 1KViewDownload

M John

May 28, 2010, 11:56:41 PM5/28/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I saw a central locking kit marketed by Fiat (logo & all) with Auto Sterling NOIDA. Cost as I recollect was about 4500/-. They also had a reverse parking sensor which I have put on my car. This was made by Autocop & marketed by Fiat after compatibility check or whatever. These kits will not affect the warranty.
Johnny

Mohit Kumar

May 29, 2010, 12:36:29 AM5/29/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I just called them now and they confirmed its not for the Active 1.2 models.

Mohit

--
Mohit Kumar

vipul

May 29, 2010, 11:07:34 AM5/29/10
to Punto Users Group India
thanks every one for your valuable suggestion i have changed the tyres
to Yokohoma A drive 185/70/R 14. Even though i have not driven much
after change but my initial impression is steering is lighter and its
braking is improved alot.
And as for central locking i am still not able to find right person i
spoked to technician of autocop,crosslink wheels and xenos none of
them knows how to install they say if u have manual central locking
only then we can install i tried to convince them that mine dsnt have
manual c.l but there is acutators in my car but they have no idea any
one in hyderabad has installed c.l on active model?

On May 29, 9:36 am, Mohit Kumar <mohi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just called them now and they confirmed its not for the Active 1.2 models.
>
> Mohit
>
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 9:26 AM, M John <many.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I saw a central locking kit marketed by Fiat (logo & all) with Auto
> > Sterling NOIDA. Cost as I recollect was about 4500/-. They also had a
> > reverse parking sensor which I have put on my car. This was made by Autocop
> > & marketed by Fiat after compatibility check or whatever. These kits will
> > not affect the warranty.
> > Johnny
>
> >> <punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>
> >> a%252Buns...@googlegroups.com <a%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> read more »

Grandeur / Sandeep

May 29, 2010, 2:37:34 PM5/29/10
to Punto Users Group India
Hey Vipul u have driven a lot ;). I just completed 22500k + today
(mine is Aug 09 model). Well, I was following the thread but could not
participate. My tyres can still cover another 10k, I hope so. Well to
be honest I don't want to ;)...as I really want to upgrade it to 15"
on Alloys, soon. ***Amogh I know what you wanna say.....****

Well, I'll look forward to hear your feedback on your tyre, I may
wanna settle with 14" alloys and later get just the tyres replaced.

Do share your driving experience and the FE figures.

Cheers!

> read more »

vipul

May 29, 2010, 3:08:22 PM5/29/10
to Punto Users Group India
Yes my meter reading is 27300 now and tyres completely worn out i
expected them to last atleast 35k. The reason i feel for early worn
out is wheel alingment and balancing as fiat recommended on 15000 but
i think we shoould get it done in 5000 or so as per indian condition.
After driving and owning this car i feel these are the pros and cons

PROS:
1) Driving the car is like dream i think no car under 10 lk have ride
quality and handling like this.
2) beautiful simply beautiful Surely a head turner
3) high speed stability be it straight line or cornering
4) Soildly Built (certainly not a "tin ka dibba")

Cons:
1) Not that quick like swift or ritz
2) After market Accesories not many option "Sir punto ka .... hain
nahin kab aayega pata nahi"
3) Fiat service still left alot to be desired
4) Interior Plastic Quality

Dont know its a pros or cons.Heart of the car is not a match to the
body no matter how much it try just cant put the body to the test
But over all great car at this price point

FE i am getting is 19k/l on highways and 14km/l in city with 100% ac
on
After 20k or so engine has become less noisy and smoother its like
"It is getting younger as it grows"
On May 29, 11:37 pm, "Grandeur / Sandeep" <sandeep.rat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> read more »

M John

May 30, 2010, 12:07:09 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Why dont you want to go for 15" alloys. You will just have to get slightly lower profile tyres (195/60). Fiat alloys are expensive - 10500/= per rim! After market alloys may be a better option if you are planning to change all four/five.
Johnny

> read more »

Grandeur / Sandeep

May 30, 2010, 12:23:26 AM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
Yeah, I have been thinking same. Exploring tyre options, If I could
spot better options in 14' wider and smart looking tyre than I may
start looking for 14" alloys. But again getting 98 PCD alloys is big
challenge. Did any one tried wobbly bolts how good n safe are they?
Kava Automobiles (Mumbai) - www.kavaautomobile.com is offering 15"
Linea alloys for 4k each.

Man I'm too confused ;).

> read more »

Amogh Chaphalkar

May 30, 2010, 1:13:14 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Emotion pack leneka :lol

M John

May 30, 2010, 1:29:00 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you Amogh!!

Grandeur / Sandeep

May 30, 2010, 1:36:58 AM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
I knew...it Amogh! &*(^$*&^#&*(%&#*(%&#%

On May 30, 10:29 am, M John <many.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you Amogh!!
>
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Amogh Chaphalkar <
>

> amogh.chaphal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Emotion pack leneka :lol
>
> > On Sunday, May 30, 2010, Grandeur / Sandeep <sandeep.rat...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Yeah, I have been thinking same. Exploring tyre options, If I could
> > > spot better options in 14' wider and smart looking tyre than I may
> > > start looking for 14" alloys. But again getting 98 PCD alloys is big
> > > challenge. Did any one tried wobbly bolts how good n safe are they?
> > > Kava Automobiles (Mumbai) -www.kavaautomobile.comis offering 15"
> > punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-indi a%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/punto-users-group-india?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > .

M John

May 30, 2010, 1:46:55 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I just checked the Fiat website. The central locking offered by them can ONLY be fitted on the Dynamic not the Active.
Johnny

mandeep

May 30, 2010, 2:30:39 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
anything wider than 195 and ur ride quality will go for a toss...even otherwise, the suspension is softly set up and the car has considerable body roll due to this and the heavier kerb weight of the car.
i suppose, the 14 inchers are 5.5j rims where 195 is the best upsize you can go for. for anything more than that you need 6j rims.
just my tubbits

> read more »

mandeep

May 30, 2010, 2:32:47 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
if you are gonna purchase alloys why not go for 17 inchers and shod them with yokohama es501 db decibels in the 225/50 section or something? or the pirelli rosso zero asymmetricos?they yokos also come with the runflat option afaik

mandeep

May 30, 2010, 2:34:20 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
way to go vipul...
with the adrives your car is gonna be real fun to drive...do let us know what kind of quiteness you experience after changing from the shitty jks....i'm fed up with my gt3s but i'll hold onto them for a couple of thousand kilometers more and then change over to the db decibels.

vipul

May 30, 2010, 2:37:33 AM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thanks mandeep i will surely post the experience as i drive more but
intial impression its way better than those jk's

On May 30, 11:34 am, mandeep <epicenter.ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> way to go vipul...
> with the adrives your car is gonna be real fun to drive...do let us know
> what kind of quiteness you experience after changing from the shitty
> jks....i'm fed up with my gt3s but i'll hold onto them for a couple of
> thousand kilometers more and then change over to the db decibels.

> read more »

mandeep

May 30, 2010, 2:38:38 AM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
vipul,
anything will be better than the jks and the goodyears...
enjoy!!!

> read more »

Aniket

May 30, 2010, 11:37:48 AM5/30/10
to Punto Users Group India

Mandeep Kalsy

May 30, 2010, 2:05:41 PM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com

AnanÐ

May 30, 2010, 11:15:00 PM5/30/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Hehe..... Second Amogh... Epack lelo:-)

Regards,
AnÐy

vipul

May 31, 2010, 11:15:02 AM5/31/10
to Punto Users Group India
Finally.... i got crosslink wheels central locking for my Punto Mjd
Active today and its working properly thanks every one for our
valuable inputs.