New Member: Ownership experience (and plethora of pictures) with my Punto MJD Exotica Red

Sumit

May 26, 2010, 2:37:08 PM5/26/10
to Punto Users Group India
Hi

Someone posted about this group on one of my blog posts.

Feels really good to be amongst so many fellow punto owners.
I will try to help any fellow group members with my experience so far
and will learn from your experiences.

Its been more than 3 months since I bought my punto and so far covered
close to 3600 kms.

I am TBHP member as well.
I have pretty comprehensive ownership thread there.

You can read about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/77014-my-italian-stallion-fiat-grande-punto-mjd-exotica-red-photo-shoot-pg-9-a.html

Photoshoot here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/77014-my-italian-stallion-fiat-grande-punto-mjd-exotica-red-photo-shoot-pg-9-a-9.html

You will find many more photographs of my car while browsing through
the ownership thread.

I am having a few a/c and average issues with my car. I will read
posts by other group members to see if I can find any solution.

Thanks and Cheers!!!
Sumit

Arvind Rishi

May 26, 2010, 10:47:34 PM5/26/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Sumit, hope to hear from you more about the future mods you are planing to do, I have been following your ownership for quite some time now.

Regards,
Arvind Rishi

Vignesh

May 26, 2010, 11:38:09 PM5/26/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Sumit ji,
vignesh here.welcome aboard to PUG.
--
Vignesh

Some people drive cars...I Drive a Palio ..

Sumit

May 27, 2010, 12:30:29 AM5/27/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thank you Arvind.
I look forward to contributing towards the group.

On May 27, 7:47 am, Arvind Rishi <rishi.arv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome Sumit, hope to hear from you more about the future mods you are
> planing to do, I have been following your ownership for quite some time
> now.
>
> Regards,
> Arvind Rishi
>

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Sumit <sumitb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > Someone posted about this group on one of my blog posts.
>
> > Feels really good to be amongst so many fellow punto owners.
> > I will try to help any fellow group members with my experience so far
> > and will learn from your experiences.
>
> > Its been more than 3 months since I bought my punto and so far covered
> > close to 3600 kms.
>
> > I am TBHP member as well.
> > I have pretty comprehensive ownership thread there.
>
> > You can read about it here:
>

> >http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/7...
>
> > Photoshoot here:
>
> >http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/7...

> > You will find many more photographs of my car while browsing through
> > the ownership thread.
>
> > I am having a few a/c and average issues with my car. I will read
> > posts by other group members to see if I can find any solution.
>
> > Thanks and Cheers!!!
> > Sumit
>
> > --

> > punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Sumit

May 27, 2010, 12:31:00 AM5/27/10
to Punto Users Group India
Hey Vignesh!!!
Good to see you again. :)

On May 27, 8:38 am, Vignesh <ramvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sumit ji,
> vignesh here.welcome aboard to PUG.
>

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Arvind Rishi <rishi.arv...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Welcome Sumit, hope to hear from you more about the future mods you are
> > planing to do, I have been following your ownership for quite some time
> > now.
>
> > Regards,
> > Arvind Rishi
>

> > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Sumit <sumitb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi
>
> >> Someone posted about this group on one of my blog posts.
>
> >> Feels really good to be amongst so many fellow punto owners.
> >> I will try to help any fellow group members with my experience so far
> >> and will learn from your experiences.
>
> >> Its been more than 3 months since I bought my punto and so far covered
> >> close to 3600 kms.
>
> >> I am TBHP member as well.
> >> I have pretty comprehensive ownership thread there.
>
> >> You can read about it here:
>

> >> You will find many more photographs of my car while browsing through
> >> the ownership thread.
>
> >> I am having a few a/c and average issues with my car. I will read
> >> posts by other group members to see if I can find any solution.
>
> >> Thanks and Cheers!!!
> >> Sumit
>
> >> --

> >> punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/punto-users-group-india?hl=en.
>
> >  --

> > punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Gopinathan Balakrishnan

May 27, 2010, 12:51:38 AM5/27/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Sumit, Welcome to the group. Most of us have been following your posts closely in team-bhp.

I had the A/c cooling issue as well and recently replaced the pollen air filter at TASS. The total cost of filter is Rs.223. Now the cooling is back to its original splendor

Regards

Gopi

Sumit

May 27, 2010, 4:01:40 AM5/27/10
to Punto Users Group India
Thanks Gopinathan!!

My a/c has a different kinda problem.

The a/c trips / cuts off while driving. And this only happens when
outside temperature is high.
If I am driving the car in early morning or after 5-6, the a/c is
absolute chiller.
Under the scorching sun, the a/c trips after every few minutes.
I have got it checked twice at TASS. First time they checked the gas
level of a/c and 2nd time they replaced the gas and filled it within
prescribed levels.

I have read that people who had similar problems had to get their ECU
changed.

I get my car serviced at Joshi Autozone in Chandigarh.

Any other thing that I should try? Cleaning pollen filter wont help
much, cause when outside temperature is normal, a/c is very effective.

Gopinathan Balakrishnan

May 27, 2010, 4:54:34 AM5/27/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com

Sumit, I was having similar issue as well. When I put the ACC at 19degC, the A/C will cut off after some time. Reducing the ACC to 16 deg C also didnot help. I had to keep the ACC at "LO" setting and then the blower works continuously. All this was resolved by changing the pollen filter.

Since your car doesnot have ACC, I am not sure if the issues are related. I was also reading about many people getting the ECU changed for this issue. TASS may be able to help you out here

Regards

Gopi

Veer Pratap Singh

May 27, 2010, 4:58:52 AM5/27/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
Me also facing similar kind of problem.. cleaned the pollen filter ....but didn`t helped the ASS as asking to leave the car for one day and then they will ne able to resolve the problem .......... will be going to ASS on  Saturday for this.

Rgds,
Veer

Regards

Gopi

Arvind Rishi

May 27, 2010, 5:14:18 AM5/27/10
to punto-users...@googlegroups.com
I think the ECU change was done for 1.2, not sure if this is there for 1.3 also.

Regards,
Arvind Rishi

Sumit

May 27, 2010, 2:59:13 PM5/27/10
to Punto Users Group India
I will go to TASS tomorrow or on monday.
They said they will escalate the problem to FIAT officials and wait
for their response.
Lets see how things goes!!!
Will keep you guys posted.

On May 27, 2:14 pm, Arvind Rishi <rishi.arv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the ECU change was done for 1.2, not sure if this is there for 1.3
> also.
>
> Regards,
> Arvind Rishi
>

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Veer Pratap Singh <veeru...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Me also facing similar kind of problem.. cleaned the pollen filter ....but
> > didn`t helped the ASS as asking to leave the car for one day and then they
> > will ne able to resolve the problem .......... will be going to ASS on
> >  Saturday for this.
>
> > Rgds,
> > Veer
>
> > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Gopinathan Balakrishnan <gop...@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
>
> >> Sumit, I was having similar issue as well. When I put the ACC at 19degC,
> >> the A/C will cut off after some time. Reducing the ACC to 16 deg C also
> >> didnot help. I had to keep the ACC at "LO" setting and then the blower
> >> works continuously. All this was resolved by changing the pollen filter.
>
> >> Since your car doesnot have ACC, I am not sure if the issues are related.
> >> I was also reading about many people getting the ECU changed for this issue.
> >> TASS may be able to help you out here
>
> >> Regards
>
> >> Gopi
>
> >> --

> >> punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/punto-users-group-india?hl=en.
>
> >  --

> > punto-users-group...@googlegroups.com<punto-users-group-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

CHA0S

May 28, 2010, 2:53:30 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
In my 1.4 E+ punto (auto ac) I have noticed that at low revs (at 1000-
1500 rpm) in bumper to bumper traffic, or too many gear shifts or
constant acceleration - deceleration makes the car cut-off the
compressor.

every time, push the accelerator, compressor off...

once the car keeps moving on a steady accelerator pedal (cruize mode)
the car compressor starts and cools the car....

but same story when back to brake are again accelerate.

So i'm concluding to the driving style.
Right now I am still experimenting with my style regards, to take off
from a stop, in gear acceleration...
Factors affecting to the compressor cut-off. and trying to keep the
compressor ON as I drive off in similar scenario's!!

BTW, in my V2 turbo, whenever i would just gun the pedal to the floor,
the car would emit a "click' sound in the cabin telling me the
compressor is off for the time so the power delivery is not lagged by
the compressor and would turn the compressor cooling back on after a
while. So i would need to go easy on the pedal to keep the compressor
running from the initial movement...

from this experience i can firmly say that our ECU tries to give
priority to power delivery rather than cooling for the initial period.
once the demand for motion stabilizes, the compressor turns on..

So guys i really dont think its ECU problem!! in any of the punto's.
may it be a 1.2 or a 1.3 MJD.

Sumit

May 28, 2010, 3:15:58 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
A/C trpping is definitely a problem.
I dont buy the fact that FIAT guys made it that way to give better
acceleration.

Also, its not same in all the cars. Mine and a few other cars are
experiencing this problem.
If FIAT made it that way, it should be same in all cars, it is not!!!

I called TASS today, they said they will speak with an engineer from
FIAT and then get back to me.

CHA0S

May 28, 2010, 3:25:32 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
dont you mean the compressor cutoff by the "ac tripping"??

Sumit

May 28, 2010, 4:34:00 AM5/28/10
to Punto Users Group India
Yup, Compressor cutoff.

What I have noticed is that the compressor would cutoff only when
outside temperature is high (Above 38).
Rest of the behavior is same as your car. It trips when you are
changing gears and not going steady.

VahanPujari

May 29, 2010, 2:06:17 AM5/29/10
to Punto Users Group India
I second Chaos & experienced exactly the same things verbatim.

AC is chilling when car is moving in cruiz ode say > 40-50 kmph speed.

A few minutes in B2B traffic, with frequent gear changes,
acceleration/ decelerations, the comressor gets cut-off.

Thats why you would notice that sometimes the AC is super-chill &
sometimes its just about average.

In my Linea, I now do not feel it below average at all.

Only twice I felt absolutely off even in "LO" position & both times it
happened when I'm climbing steep, real steep ghats

Amit

Akash

May 29, 2010, 6:42:01 AM5/29/10
to Punto Users Group India
Hi,

I am facing exactly the same problem and have gone to TASS for 5-6
times, kept my car for 15 days in total at workshop but no resolution
as yet.... I spoke to Nitin frm this group and he told me that it
could be an issue with the ECU as FIAT has come out with a new ECU....

I am currently abroad and once I come back, I plan to grab hold of
FIAT guys to replace the ECU... and then lets see...

BTW, if there are more such people who are facing this problem then we
should approach FIAT together for effective resolution.

Cheers,

Akash