Getting started.

Saji

Sep 20, 2011, 11:14:10 AM9/20/11
to PuneChips
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie hobbyist (I do have some programming knowledge though)
planning to start with the PIC16F72 chip (I actually have one). I've
looked around the web and found some resources to get started and
based on that, I'm thinking about building a pickit 2 / pickit 3
clone. Basically, I want to be able to program this chip and do some I/
O (blinking LED's and switches are fine). So if there's a better way
than what I have in mind kindly advice. I'd also like to know where I
can source components, print PCBs, find general advice etc in Pune.

Chaitanya

Sep 21, 2011, 11:03:28 AM9/21/11
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hi, there are some shops such as Rajeev Electronics that have electronic components and hobbyist kits. Electrical equipment shops are in Budhwar Peth area, but probably there are others elsewhere too. They can suggest equipment to buy and recommend vendors for PCB building etc.

All the best!

chetan patil

Sep 22, 2011, 8:04:43 AM9/22/11
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Hi, there are some shops such as Rajeev Electronics that have electronic components and hobbyist kits.

I would strongly not suggest Ragjeev Electronics for Hobbyis Kits, thought do opt for Electronic Components.

Just grab Arduino board. It will be a better learning experience.

Thank You!

Sumanranjan Mitra

Sep 22, 2011, 9:47:23 AM9/22/11
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I would like to know first if
a. You wish to involve in embedded systems programming or
b. You wish to learn board designing.

If it is a. do not try to assemble/make a board of your own to begin with. Rather buy a board ARM or Xilinx Spartan FPGA board off the shelf.

Once you have a good grasp of embedded systems programming drivers, OS bring up, etc you can try making your own board and bring up an OS on it (Linux). The entire activity has a long learning curve but it will keep you excited and employed for a significant part of your life.

Thanks,
Suman

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Chaitanya <craj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, there are some shops such as Rajeev Electronics that have electronic components and hobbyist kits. Electrical equipment shops are in Budhwar Peth area, but probably there are others elsewhere too. They can suggest equipment to buy and recommend vendors for PCB building etc.

All the best!

Saji

Sep 23, 2011, 1:47:55 AM9/23/11
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Right now I'm mostly interested in understanding the Harvard Architecture, how to write assembly for it, how compilers ( say C ) generate assembly for it, do some IO for fun to keep me motivated, a little bit of soldering here and there etc. This is why I think the PIC16F72 is a very good choice for me as it has only about 35 instructions and is a widely used microcontroller in Real Life Applications. But in the long run, I would also like to understand board design, OS and Electronics.