Lidar to study water waves

Rick Gleason

Oct 6, 2017, 10:14:45 PM10/6/17
to PulseWaves - no pulse left behind
We are not interested in seeing the ground, we are interested in studying and mapping wave shapes and forms. Would Lidar be appropriate or is there a better sensor to map wave shapes and forms?

What type of Lidar would work best during day, night time, bad weather, fog, etc ?

Thank you for your help..

Rick

jorg....@flinders.edu.au

Oct 8, 2017, 7:57:00 AM10/8/17
to PulseWaves - no pulse left behind
Hi Rick,

We can see waves really well in the scans using our Q680i-S (1064nm) lidar. If you want, I can send you some examples.

As it is an optical instrument, it works day and night as long as it can see the waves. So that basically eliminates fog and bad weather that obscures the waves.

Jorg