Re: [LAStools] Trouble finding LIDAR Sample Data with waveform - Point Data Record Formats 4, 5, 9, and 10

Martin Isenburg

May 15, 2018, 10:47:44 PM5/15/18
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing, PulseWaves - no pulse left behind
Hello,

I am honestly not a big fan of the FWF extension of LAS 1.3 / 1.4 (aka point types 4, 5, 9, and 10). (-: There is not too much actively used content out there as far as I am aware of. I think the Airborne Research Facility of NERC from the UK had quite a bit of such data but I heard now they get dissolved because their funding was cut. Maybe check their archives.

Another place to ask for full waveform LiDAR data would be in the http://pulsewaves.org format that I have cc-ed on this email.

Regards.

Martin

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Jay Konda <sanjay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

I'm having trouble finding LIDAR data with Wave Packets online using LIDAR data sources. In other words, the LAS files with Point Data Record Formats 4, 5, 9, and 10. Does anyone have any of these files or have any advice as to where I could find them online?

Thanks in advance.

--
Download LAStools at
http://lastools.org

Milto Miltiadou

May 18, 2018, 9:13:37 AM5/18/18
to PulseWaves - no pulse left behind
Hello,

If you would like to download full waveform LAS1.3 data with Point Data Record Format 4 from NERC ARF, you may use the ceda platform http://data.ceda.ac.uk/neodc/arsf/ . Please note that there are no external files with waveform packets, since the waveform data are stored internally at the end of the LAS file.

The following dataset contains waveform data from New Forest, UK. Nevertheless, since it is one of the early data collected and due to the speed of the plane, there are occasions were only every other waveform was stored. This implies that the discrete data contain information for about double the amount of the emitted pulses in comparison to the waveform. So, please be careful with comparisons between discrete and full-waveform LiDAR.
http://data.ceda.ac.uk/neodc/arsf/2010/FW10_01/FW10_01-2010_098_New_Forest/LiDAR/fw_laser/
You may search on the platform for more recent datasets.

For more information please contact: nerc-arf-processing(at)pml(dot)ac(dot)uk

Best Regards,
Dr Milto Miltiadou

Researcher at Cyprus University of Technology
Developer of @_DASOS_