IPREP difficulties

Brad Turnbough

Mar 6, 2014, 10:48:38 AM3/6/14
to pulledpo...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,

I'm having some difficulties getting the ip reputation piece up and working the way that I want it.  Can someone please correct me where I am wrong?

PulledPork 0.7.0
Snort 2.9.5.5

PulledPork configuration:
rule_url=http://labs.snort.org/feeds/ip-filter.blf|IPBLACKLIST|open
black_list=/etc/snort/rules/black_list-p2p1.rules
IPRVersion=/etc/snort/rules/

Snort configuration:

var WHITE_LIST_PATH rules
var BLACK_LIST_PATH rules

preprocessor reputation: \
   memcap 500, \
   priority whitelist, \
   nested_ip inner, \
#   whitelist $WHITE_LIST_PATH/white_list-p2p1.rules, \
   blacklist $BLACK_LIST_PATH/black_list-p2p1.rules

I have a cron script that downloads the ip list every night at a predetermined time:

wget -v http://labs.snort.org/feeds/ip-filter.blf -O /opt/pulledpork/tmp/sigs/IPBLACKLIST

The machine has multiple interfaces, so I only want to download the file once and then process from that downloaded copy for all interfaces. Pulled pork is run with the '-P' so that rules are processed even though they weren't downloaded and '-n' "do everything other than download of new files (disablesid, etc).

So, the steps would be:

1) download file and place it in /opt/pulledpork/tmp/sigs/IPBLACKLIST
2) run pulledpork and process the rules / ip lists.
3) PP then generates a ipblacklist file called 'black_list-p2p1.rules' and places it in /etc/snort/rules/black_list-p2p1.rules

Everything except for this ip reputation is working properly, and has been working properly for some time.

Does anyone have a clue why this isn't working?

Thanks,

Brad