Monday 18 July, Level 2

Caroline M Mwaniki

Jul 18, 2011, 11:05:41 PM7/18/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I had seven students in class today.

We started off with a review of the spellings of numbers 1 - 30. Most students got most spellings correct this time round.

I then gave out a vocabulary exercise, where students were required to pick one of two words to complete 5 sentences. All words were three letter words with the vowels "a" or "u" that we had come across in previous lessons:

1. I wear a (hat/hut) when it is hot.
2. He (cut/cat) his finger with a knife.
3. You can put your books in a (bag/bug).
4. Sam's boss gets (mad/mud) when Sam is late.
5. Football fans have a lot of (fan/fun) during football games.

We had an especially great time with the last sentence!

We finished off class with a reading exercise - we read from lesson 6 about Sam and his friend Gus, and then briefly discussed friends and friendship.

We'll continue tomorrow with more numbers, vocabulary building exercises and some reading and discussion.

Also, I ran into Athe, the PSA President, before class and expressed our concern about access to the space. He said that they were having more meetings at the moment than is usual because they were preparing for a bigger general meeting in Columbus, Ohio in September, with all the Pulaar Chapters from around the country. He was rather dismissive of our need to stick to a fixed timetable for classes and suggested that we start having classes on weekends whenever the association needs the room during the week. I tried to emphasize the importance of having a regular schedule for the students and for us, since everyone has several other engagements, but I don't think I managed to convince him. Oh well....

Have a great rest of the week!
--
Caroline Mwaniki
Department of French/Institute of French Studies