Oona sabbatical

Oona McCarthy

May 16, 2011, 12:36:49 PM5/16/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

It is with regret that I inform you wonderful volunteers that I will no longer be available to teach english classes at Pulaar Speaking. I recently quit my day job and have taken on evening babysitting shifts during the week for the time being.

My sincere apologies for the lack of notice, this adjustment has had me rather scattered the past few weeks.

I look forward to your updates on the students' progress. Please let them know that I will be back eventually! If anything changes I will let you know.

Best,
Oona

Caroline M Mwaniki

May 16, 2011, 11:31:11 PM5/16/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
All the best Oona - we look forward to having you back!

Caroline Mwaniki
Department of French/Institute of French Studies
New York University

May 18, 2011, 9:51:58 PM5/18/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Class was not nearly as good without you Oona! I hope the shift is good for you, and look forward to seeing you again sooner rather than later.
As for class...I had both groups, which I am not great at doing on a consistent basis, so if anyone wants to fill in sometimes I would be grateful! With the intermediate guys we worked more on present progressive and continuous, and I think most of them are getting it more and more. We also touched on soft versus hard vowel sounds.
In the beginning class I had them list words from the market that they knew, and then we went through soft vowel sounds to try to connect some of the words they know with their spellings.
Amazon was the place I got the books, but I might have wiped out the supply of cheaper used books. We might just have to get all new books. Should we each order like five? I gave about 8 out already.
Cheers,
Ruth