Monday 20 June, Levels 1 and 2

Caroline M Mwaniki

Jun 20, 2011, 11:09:47 PM6/20/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I had 10 students in a combined class where we spent the entire lesson working on phonics. Jieun was not feeling well tonight so she couldn't make it.

We went through three exercises in the text "Sam and Pat", all of which focused on the vowel "a". The exercises can be found on pages 7, 10 and 11.

I started the class off with a review of the exercise on page 7 which I had assigned for homework. While it was a simple exercise (students were to circle the "a" sound in each word) many were confused as to what they were supposed to be doing. When I realized this, I decided that I would explain the difference between a word, a letter and a sound - which seemed to help a lot.

We then moved on to the exercise on page 10, where I instructed students to pick the word I read out loud, of the three choices given for each number. All students, levels 1 and 2 alike, did the exercise without much difficulty. While I went around correcting the exercise, I asked students to carry on with the exercise on page 11 where they were to fill in "a", which was missing from 10 words.

The final 20 or so minutes were spent discussing the meaning of vocabulary students were unfamiliar with from the exercise on page 10. Where I could I used gestures, objects and sentences - this was a fun discussion.

We didn't get through all of lesson 3, so those teaching tomorrow, please feel free to use Lesson 3, or Lesson 2 for that matter. Also, one student claimed that the Association would have a meeting in the classroom tomorrow - I would double check with Athe, the President, just to be sure. I'll also try to call him myself tomorrow (646-221-1763).

Cheers!

--
Caroline Mwaniki
Department of French/Institute of French Studies

Ruth Nervig

Jun 21, 2011, 3:10:54 PM6/21/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I called Athe and he said they had something going on. Do you think people are still planning on coming and I should call them to let them know there's no class?
-ruth