no class tonight

Ruth Nervig

May 24, 2011, 10:29:34 PM5/24/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
There was no class tonight because they had a meeting...but we should have the space for tomorrow night. Ariel, are you teaching tomorrow?
We need a backup or just a different space! Has anyone looked into the mosque? That seems like a longshot, but maybe? Or does anyone know if the library just up Franklin is open late and has a community room? There are a few community centers closer to my neighborhood on Bedford or Franklin that I could look into as well.
Also...Caroline, have you ordered more books? I can order some too, just let me know how many and if you've found a better deal (I don't know of any).
Enjoy the sunny respite from all the rain!
-Ruth

Abena Asare

May 25, 2011, 12:05:11 AM5/25/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the message. I was at the PSA this evening at 9 pm to teach the Level 1 class and also learned that they had cancelled class. Athie was very apologetic and said he asked whether anyone had called us to tell us about the cancellation.
So, I like the idea about brainstorming and exploring the different possible spaces. It never hurts to ask... I look forward to joining you next week!
-abena

Ruth Nervig

May 25, 2011, 12:14:21 AM5/25/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
I can't believe I missed you, but I'm so excited you'll be there next week!

Ariel Duncan

May 25, 2011, 11:19:15 AM5/25/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, I can teach tonight! If anyone would like to join me, it would be great to have you! I have my lesson plans for 1 and 2 from two weeks ago (if I can find them), too.

Best,
Ariel

Caroline M Mwaniki

May 25, 2011, 2:34:38 PM5/25/11
to pul...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

sorry to hear you couldn't have class yesterday!

Oona had talked about asking for an alternative space, perhaps at the neighborhood mosque. I will call her to ask if she got any information on whether it was a feasible option or not.

As for the books, I got 5 copies from the Barnes and Noble Textbook store. Each copy was $22.95, just like the new copies on Amazon. We will likely need more, but I'm not sure how many. I had planned to distribute the copies I bought on Monday this week to students interested in purchasing a copy, but was in New Haven and missed the train I should have caught to be back in time to teach! Jieun therefore taught a combined class as I could not find a last minute substitute. Also, I'm leaving the country for a week, so I'll not be able to teach next Monday - if any of you are available, and wouldn't mind teaching in my place, I would greatly appreciate it!

During the remaining classes this week, and those next week, if we could get a headcount of the number of students who would like to purchase a text book, that might be helpful in determining the number of extra copies we should get.

Enjoy the sunny days and have a great weekend!

Caroline Mwaniki
Department of French/Institute of French Studies
New York University