Fig trees?

max.pa...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2014, 12:59:03 PM11/11/14
to pu...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I'm interested in finding fig trees in the area that can either survive (most) winters uncovered, or at the very least produce good fruit the first year after dying back in winter.  I've seen one on Larchwood, another in Upper Darby, and have heard rumors of others in South Philly, so I figure there must be a decent number out there.  Anyone know where some of these trees might be hiding?

Thanks!
Max

Larry Shaeffer

Nov 11, 2014, 4:26:10 PM11/11/14
to max.pa...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Primex Garden Center in Glenside, PA has a nice selection of fig tree cultivars

--
Report abuse to pufn+...@googlegroups.com
---

Hon Lui

Nov 12, 2014, 10:26:00 AM11/12/14
to pu...@googlegroups.com
A hidden south philly fig, eh?

There's a beautiful espaliered specimen on Latona just before 11th St.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.9341996,-75.1622545&spn=0.18,0.3&cbll=39.9341996,-75.1622545&layer=c&panoid=vhcK0sEbmolCnG-J7vEwFg&cbp=,309.56,,0,-6.8600006&output=classic&dg=ntvb

As for cultivation, I've read that a sunny south-facing wall with some wind protection will help alot. This produces a micro-climate that will give the hardier fig varieties a chance in this climate. The urban heat island effect also helps in this respect.

Daniela Ascarelli

Nov 12, 2014, 10:38:02 AM11/12/14
to hon...@gmail.com, pu...@googlegroups.com
There are lots of fig trees in South Philly-- but it does help if they are somewhat protected.  And fig trees are easy to grow-- many people have successfully  grown a tree from just a twig of an existing tree.

In S Philly there are primarily two kinds of figs-- ones that are green when ripe and then those that turn purple when ripe.

The one near on Latona and 11th is the purple variety.

Sarah Bonkowski

Nov 12, 2014, 10:43:21 AM11/12/14
to dani.as...@gmail.com, hon...@gmail.com, pu...@googlegroups.com
I have a small potted fig tree that I can't put out in my yard because of the squirrels/raccoons - last year they chomped it off at the base and it managed to come back. It really needs a home that's better than a small pot in my kitchen. Free to a good home (even the terra cotta pot it lives in!) or for a happy trade! I live in West Philly.

Phil Forsyth

Nov 12, 2014, 11:16:36 AM11/12/14
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
The best cold-hardy fig varieties commonly available in the nursery trade are Chicago Hardy and Celeste, both of which can freeze to the ground, regrow and fruit in the same year.  That said, we generally recommend against any planting figs outside in the fall, although you might be able to get away with it by combining a protected location with wrapping.  More on growing figs in cold climates:

The Philadelphia Orchard Project does sell figs we propagate from local cuttings (including the Larchwood fig).  If you're interested in getting other rare cold-hardy varieties, also check out Trees of Joy in Bethlehem, PA (treesofjoy.com).

Phil Forsyth, Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project