Plastic free or minimal meat freezing

Aditi

Mar 23, 2014, 3:05:48 AM3/23/14
to pu...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if anyone had any methods of storing meat in a freezer without using freezer bags, or plastic coated freezer paper.

I recently acquired a chest freezer and so would like to start stock up on meat for my dogs but as a mostly vegetarian I don't have the best idea on how to go about doing it in a way that doesn't involve a lot of plastic use.

I'd like to be able to break down the meat into meal sized portions and store them that way to make feeding easier and would really appreciate advice on how I could that with hopefully non-plastic reusable containers.

I have a lot of stainless steel containers - can I use them? What do I need to do to ensure proper freezing and minimal freezer burn.

Any bit of advice, information, no matter how common sensical it seems would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Aditi

Sent from my iPad

Sally McCabe

Mar 23, 2014, 9:03:37 AM3/23/14
to aditi....@gmail.com, pu...@googlegroups.com

Although they aren't as efficient as square containers space-wise, canning jars are tempered to handle freezing temperatures and are infinitely reusable.  Use the wide-mouth variety so it's easier to get stuff out. Or freeze stuff ahead in small pieces on cookie sheets, then put it into the jars

--
Report abuse to pufn+...@googlegroups.com
---

Aditi Joshi

Mar 23, 2014, 9:37:43 AM3/23/14
to Sally McCabe, pu...@googlegroups.com
Canning Jars wont work because their meat cuts are all bone in and fairly large in size (nothing smaller than a chicken quarter) so they simply wont fit. But if I freeze the pieces on a sheet and then put them inside a stainless steel container would they be easy to separate?

Janine Schwab

Mar 23, 2014, 10:14:12 AM3/23/14
to basiami...@gmail.com, aditi....@gmail.com, pu...@googlegroups.com
We've never found a non-plastic solution. We just use freezer paper (which has a plasticized surface on one side that does not stick to the meat.