This weekend 9/10-9/12: Please come to the Honey Fest

Cris Larson

Sep 9, 2021, 7:32:20 PM9/9/21
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Hi Everyone:
   Help us celebrate honey bees and pollinators at the Philadelphia Honey Fest this weekend.  If you want to taste raw local honey, get information about keeping bees, or just have a great time, this is the place:

Welcome fall at the Philadelphia Honey Festival on September 10, 11, and 12 at Glen Foerd on the Delaware, Wyck Historic House and Bartram’s Garden. This annual event, organized by the Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild, celebrates 12 incredible years and works to raise awareness about the importance of honey bees to the environment, the food supply and the economy, and to celebrate urban beekeeping and urban agriculture & gardening. The three historic locations - purposely chosen so visitors won't have to travel far from their neighborhoods to attend - will each host one day of the festival.
       September 10, 5pm-9pm, at Glen Foerd on the Delaware, 5001 Grant Avenue, 19114
       September 11, 10am-4pm, at Wyck Historic House, 6026 Germantown Avenue, 19144
       September 12, 10am-3pm, at Bartram's Garden, 5400 Lindbergh Boulevard, 19143

For those of you interested in plants and pollinators, this year we welcome Wild Ones of Southeastern Pennsylvania, whose motto is "healing the earth one yard at a time."  Find out more about connections between pollinators and plants at this year's fest.

We are also pleased that Merissa McDonald will present information about Bartram's new program that will train teens as Tree Tenders, so they can take on the role of ambassador for their neighborhood in order to serve Southwest Philadelphia residents' tree requests and maintenance.  The bees will love them for it!

Things will be buzzing during this year's Philadelphia Honey Festival with returning traditions as well as new programs. All three historic locations will offer visitors free family-friendly activities for the three days of the festival. There will be plenty of vendors with eco-friendly, natural and bee-related products.  On top of the open hive demonstrations, honey extractions, open hive talks, bee beards, honey tastings and more, look for new additions:
Of particular interest this year:
    •    Glen Foerd hosts the Honey Fest Kickoff Party with live music, food, and beverages. We will have honey-themed cocktails as well as wine.  Music provided by Liberty Bell Brass.  Our food truck had to cancel, so bring a picnic. You can still get ice cream, though.
    •    At Wyck House on Saturday, we will have the mead tent for purchase of mead; plus there will cider pressing, a lecture on jun tea making, children's activities, and a talk on the history of beekeeping in Germantown with Miranda Mote.  Music provided by Lynn Mather.
    •    Bartram’s Garden raises our plant consciousness with information from Wild Ones of Southeastern PA and Merissa McDonald, Tree Program Coordinator and Gardener.   You can learn more about bees from a local Philly Beekeeper. And, don’t miss the children's storytimes and the famous children's bee costume-making!  Music by the Foxy Doxies.

For further information, please contact Cris Larson at crisla...@gmail.com or by calling 267-997-6871.
Entry to the festival venues, educational activities and demonstrations are free.
 For more information, please see:
     Wyck Historic House: Philadelphia Honey Festival
     Bartram's Garden: Philadelphia Honey Festival
     Glen Foerd: Honey Fest Kickoff Party
     Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild Honey Fest

Note:  The Honey Fest is primarily an outdoor event.  As such, the schedule is subject to change, based on weather conditions.  We ask that visitors wear masks in enclosed areas as per city ordinance, and be considerate of other visitors by distancing and masking in congested areas.    Entrance is free, but we ask that you register for some events.  Please check the website of each venue, to ascertain changes in schedule or cancellations.
PS:  This year, we are excited to announce that Bartram’s Garden is partnering with Rite-Aid to offer a FREE and convenient vaccine clinic (with follow-up for 2nd dose). Let’s end this pandemic!   The clinic is from 12-2pm on Sunday September 12; you must register and spots are limited.  For more information and to register, please see "Vaccine Clinic at Honey Festival"