Diana Villamonte: Tina Turner

1 view

Gary R. Beck

Jun 15, 2021, 8:39:55 PM6/15/21
to PV OT/SS IO Group, PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google
Diana Villamonte
Tina Turner

Diana established herself in her native Panama, coming from a musical family headed by Yudi, and found enormous success under Act2PV's guiding hands of partners Danny, Alfonso and Oscar. Her tribute to Whitney Houston, later adding her cousin Dionne Warwick, is a remarkable portrayal of her talents. Her voice, range, control and movements resemble this late, popular icon. Audiences have been amazed at her vocals reaching those extremely high notes, then holding them. Danny
Mininni called upon every fan to come tonight for Diana's birthday, promising a grand party for the Puerto Vallarta Superstar. She is performing songs by Tina Turner once again tonight only.

Managing partner Danny Mininni introduced the Diana excitedly and his emotions were on level with the audience members. She appeared soothing the audience of friends with a soft "Let's Stay Together", but unloaded exuberant energy with "The Best" and "We Don't Need Another Hero".  She sported long, flowing hair and wearing a tight black outfit. Cries of "Happy Birthday" echoed throughout the room.

She won the national singing show "Voice of Mexico" runner-up position with many followers here watching the television contest live in The Red Room. Her return struck right when the pandemic started but she has kept strong through the protocols, closures and is now back thrilling the thousands of her followers.

Her selected stellar band was composed of a keyboardist, drummer and two guitarists. "Want any Motown?", Diana asked and then brought out a new star of this venue Kevin Anthony, who is continuing his show "Lionel and Stevie". "Superstition" literally rocked the room with Sebastián's light show flashing with pizazz. They played off each other very well.

Tina, born Anna Mae Bullock in 1939, is known as "The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll" and rose to prominence as the lead singer with then-husband Ike, leading to her career as a solo artist. She has sold over 100 million records and has received 12 Grammy Awards.

Diana chatted about since she first appeared at Act2PV, she learned tons about Tina, then Diana Ross, Motown and her currently Whitney Houston and Dionne Warwick. But she said that while growing up she was most inspired by Aretha Franklin and presented a medley of that the Queen of Soul´s discography. "Think" got the string going very hot, the beautiful "Ain't No Way", written by her sister Carolyn Franklin, and then finishing with "Respect". Diana has the talented ability to showcase this other icon in a future special show alone.

After a brief rest and change into a shimmery slinky red dress, Diana and her band began Act II with the pounding "Nutbush City Limits". Tina grew up with her family in the small community of Nutbush, TN. at times picking cotton. "Are you ready for some fun?", shouted Diana. She sang in defiant denial "Missing You", popularized by Diana Ross but covered twelve years later by Tina: "I ain't missing you (I can lie to myself these days)."She charged into the danceable "What's Love Got to Do with It" and the crowd gave back the love to their adored star of the community.

Diana talked about her "Whitney and Warwick" show saying she will give the listeners a "sneak peek" which started with "I Will Always Love You", her signature song from this show. She begins the song softly and full of dedicated love, then Diana signaled the band to rest, with her pausing only to strike her hands so all of the musicians on stage went strong high and bold. Diana has this song safely in her pocket and when a person hears her sing it for the first time, they are overwhelmed in awe. She lightened the trail with "You Give Good Love", a lovely tune on its own.

She sweetly began "Private Dancer", lulling everyone into an appreciative calmness, then turned and left the stage while the band played on. Very shortly, she returned, reprising the song but in a the hard driving sound of the hit smash. Alfonso has added another feather in his cap here as producer and director. What a team.

"Proud Mary"..."Left a good job in the city": all followers must know this classic 1969 Creedence Clearwater Revival which Tina performed often with her then-husband Ike and his revue, then soloing to the top of the charts once again. Danny appeared with a large floral bouquet and declared "Diana is my Queen." A pushed cart topped with a lit cake and without hesitation, she extinguished the sparkling candles easily with humor. A reception followed to wish her well and enjoy a slice of cake.

Producer and Director: Alfonso López.
Lighting and Sound: Sebastián LePage.

More photos on my Facebook Shows group below.

Act II Entertainment - Seventh Season
Stages

Insurgentes 300 [corner of Basilio Badillo and Insurgentes], second floor
Romantic Zone/SouthSide, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.
322-222-1512
Show info and tickets available at www.act2pv.com
E-mail: act2entertainm...@gmail.com
The box office is open from 4 pm - 10 pm.

Gary R.Beck
More of Beck's Best: Theater, Cabaret and More!:
A Note from the management of Act2PV: Stages
As the world navigates its way through the changes that have occurred recently, Act2PV is very serious about protecting our clients, our staff and our entertainers!
In addition to observing all governmental requirements (Masks required, hand sanitizers, feet sanitizers, temperatures taken, etc.), Act2PV has implemented extra safety measures in our Main Stage theater, including ozone purifiers, ozone disinfectors, air purifiers and heppa filters. We will also be operating at 25% capacity, with some seats blocked off in order to follow governmental social distancing requirements. Your well-being is our #1 priority!
Have you heard the news? Live entertainment is back and better than ever in PV, with an all new space created just for you, a socially distanced venue following every protocol to ensure your safety.
Come and enjoy our wonderful shows.
Danny Mininni, managing partner.
DianaVillamoneBDayTinaTurner21.1.jpeg
DianaVillamoneBDayTinaTurner21.3.jpg