Branden & James: Up Close & Personal

1 view

Gary R. Beck

Apr 24, 2021, 4:06:45 PM4/24/21
to PV OT/SS IO Group, PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google
Branden & James
Up Close & Personal

The duo's followers are given a special offering of two shows as the odd season runs down. After curtailing their performances and heading north, this romantic pair returned to our small town to record a Christmas album. "What better place" said Branden "than April in the tropics recording Christmas songs!" No problem, this community receives superb pleasure of a new B&J show to hear and enjoy. The album release toward the end of the year is anticipated by their music lovers.

Orchestra music previewed Enrique de Allende [Enrique Fernández], an accomplished singer of Latin romantic tunes, classic, contemporary and flamenco. He pulled up from his insides "My Way", displaying his bold booming vocals, reaching up then dropping down and turning soft in Spanish then English. Born in San Miguel de Allende, he was schooled in music and has worked with many stars, in training or backing vocals. He is a master of the stage having a number of years gaining experiences throughout the Latin and USA communities.

For their fifth anniversary season, Puerto Vallarta favorites Branden & James returned to our stage earlier in the season. This is a unique pairing of two men, one arising from a pop/rock background and the other a trained classical musician who plays his favorite cello. Our adored duo is Californian Branden James, a talented pianist with a delightful tenor voice, and Aussie James Clark, a cellist, pianist and background singer. Setting their own course of live performing, James on his cello combines with Branden's piano and then add their emotionally powerful vocals. A song may start with lilting classical cello strings and piano tingles, then vocals arise leading to the tune moving from a classical piece into a pop rendition retaining the classical background, with arrangements by James. "Bésame Mucho" started the event tonight. The overall sound was an artistic combination of Latin, classical and pop sounds.

Buenas Noches! Welcome! Bienvenidos! Branden was super-excited to be on stage with James expressing their deep love for the music, each other and the audience. They have been together nearly seven years and this is their first performance in April. The men touched upon [How Do I Get You...] "Alone" from Heart, displaying the desire to tell someone that you love and need them. The genre which the pair designed is a blending of classical cello chord treatment with pop-leaning deep tenor vocals and soft key taps on the piano. Unusual and astounding. When James took to the cello as his instrument of choice, he was advised he would not have a career unless a part of an orchestra. He went that route after school, but did not like being one cellist of ten, having no distinction of his own. He wanted more and luck was with him when he met Branden and they joined musical forces in this new creative approach.

The beauty of this construction was made evident with tunes from the play/film "The Greatest Showman" starting with "Never Enough". Then, the emphatic "This Is Me", a declaration of individuality and acceptability. I am me, proud, and you must deal with that fact.

Branden related that he arose from a Christian downhome family where music was religious and honkytonk. Then one day he discovered Cher and his life changed suddenly. He eased into a soft, sexy "Bang Bang", 'my baby shot me down', so impressive with James' sweeping chords on his cello.

An entertaining creation was a video made on this stage with the two men hooking up with Miss Conception. The two side screens displayed the men putting on makeup and singing at social distances. The script stated "We are all born naked and the rest is drag," as declared by RuPaul.
"Dancing On My Own" sings of one's acceptance of the true inner self.

They chose an oldie from Cat Stevens "Wild World" and made it a beauty to behold. The notes and inflexions all worked into a fine new mixture of moods. The guys were asked about Justin Bieber songs, so they researched his discography and found several which were adaptable to cello and piano. "10,000 Hours" is a dear vow of eternal love. Branden grasped a difficult demanding song "Unchained Melody" and gave forth a spectacular rendition in both Spanish and English employing his total vocal range. The cello and piano added to the delightful melody.

The finale was suddenly upon everyone and the dynamic duo chose the play/film "The Phantom of the Opera" for the music. They presented a beautiful medley, starting with "The Phantom of the Opera", sliding into "The Music of the Night" and ending with the fantastic "All I Ask of You". Branden thanked everyone profusely and promised a return shows run during the 2021-2022 season here.

Find more photos on my Facebook Shows page below.

The Palm Cabaret
High Waves 508
Romantic Zone - Southside,  Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
21st Anniversary Season
Tickets:
www.ThePalmCabaret.com
322-222-0200/322-182-9656
The box office is open from 4 pm - 10 pm.

A note from The Palm Cabaret management:  SAFETY FIRST, ENTERTAINMENT ALWAYS We have installed a new retractable roof for air flow and five new air filtration systems to take out old air and bring in fresh cool air. Patrons are protected by Plexiglas shields in front and on the sides of their personal seating area which is at minimum three meters from the stage. We have limited our capacity to sixty guests per show. Masks must be worn to your seats and to the restrooms. Masks may be removed upon entering your private Plexiglas area.

Branden&JamesUpClose&Personal21.1.jpeg
Branden&JamesUpClose&Personal21.2.jpg
Branden&JamesUpClose&Personal21.3.jpg