Kevin-Anthony: Lionel and Stevie

Gary R. Beck

May 18, 2021, 10:50:40 AM5/18/21
to PV OT/SS IO Group, PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google
Kevin-Anthony II
Lionel and Stevie

Kevin is an accomplished, extremely talented singer who has been a guest entertainer on Carnival Cruise Lines and Vidanta International and a performer on worldwide stages. Act2PV Managing Partner Danny Mininni appeared to introduce the latest member of their family. He said that with this show, they have raised live entertainment to the next level. This community is enlarging both in volume and quality. Guests were overheard saying that they cannot believe the impressive shows which are now presented, many being as good as any Broadway event at a quarter the fee. With widespread vaccination and the voluminous health protocols undertaken in this venue, live entertainment is once again a huge safe draw.

Starting singing in competition at the age of eleven, Kevin never looked back. He is blessed with the innate natural ability. His list of Broadway and National Tour credits include "Miss Saigon", "Dreamgirls", "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever". An entrepreneur in the performing arts on and off stage, Kevin-Anthony is founder and partner of B2 Productions - Black 2: Broadway. Tonight, his design is honoring two of the most iconic artists in the world, Lionel Richie who started off with Motown in The Commodores and Stevie Wonder, known as Motown's 12-year-old genius.

Once again as people feel safer about attending venues, tonight was a super-packed Covid-sellout according to strict protocols. Kevin's Act I demonstrated the wide talent shown over the career of Lionel Richie, touching upon a handful of his greatest hits. The audience was there to party and were kicked off with "Dancing On The Ceiling". He covered the stage allowing all sections of the crowd to see him straight on.

The band turned slow and soft with "Hello", backing Kevin's subtle but certain vocals.
Immediately, one understands his approach to his art. Take a good to great song, move the melody with the lyrics then envelop it into himself, owning and possessing the material. The song belongs to him. He patterns his performance on the basic music but takes off in every direction as he wishes at that particular time. He does not mimic, he invents.

He sang Lionel's Oscar winning "Say You, Say Me", emphasizing "Say it together, naturally." He directed the message with love. The highly energetic tune "All Night Long" displayed Kevin at his peak, swinging that waist, hands and legs, all the while stirring everyone within earshot into a dance frenzy. "Rock the house." But he slowed way down exerting his emotional ties with the lyrics of "Stuck On You". When the listeners thought they had heard the best, he launched into "Easy" -  "Easy like Sunday morning."

Kevin absorbs and owns each song and is accompanied by The Roxsand Band composed of Musical Director Andreas playing an M-AUDIO digital keyboard, two guitarists and one drummer. Kevin loves to talk with his band members, tease them, steer them in the direction he wishes to go ["down, take it down"] and provides solo spots for members to display their individual talents.

Kevin announced that there is time for only two more Lionel tunes, then a short break and honoring Stevie in the second half. He checked his notepad and was amused/shocked at his musical director's choice but on they went in humor. He delved into Lionel's Commodores times and sang the wildly hot "Brick House": "She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out. That lady's stacked and that's a fact. Ain't holding nothing back." His final tribute was "You Are" - "You are the sun.
You are the rain." Shouts and applause followed him as he departed the stage. This man is a star, reveling in his successes at the age of 59 years.

Act II brought out the four-piece band who roused the crowd with "Higher Ground", leading up to Kevin's return. Now, Stevie Wonder is saluted with a few of his classic best hits. Stevie made a portion of his mark on the music industry by playing all or nearly all the instruments on his recorded compositions which became beautiful photographs of one's life, learning at age eleven the piano, drums and harmonica. "Love's In Need Of Love Today" Kevin says, "Show someone some love. It's not that hard." Spread love to everyone, not hatred, is the message which Kevin wishes to convey to all who listen.

"You can feel it all over" intro'd "Sir Duke", his nod to music's pioneers including Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald. Kevin remarked that it is wonderful to honor these two icons tonight while they are alive. Stevie went crazy with his lover's vow "Signed, Sealed & Delivered". Kevin jumped and pulled at the audience creating bouncy joy. He slowed and dropped down for "My Cherie Amour" - "pretty little one that I adore." He encouraged the people to join in having them supply the 'La La La's' of the chorus.

Kevin lamented that whittling down the Lionel songs and then the Stevie ones was very difficult and the audience will not hear some tunes destined to be on his song list. Stevie's composition from the day of his daughter's birth, "Isn't She Lovely" was touching and heartfelt. Time to break out and what better song than "Superstition" as the night was ending and he saved his best for last. The band struck a firm beat, driving up the heat. Singing "I Wish" he expressed the desire to live back in days gone by when life was simple and relatively easy. The Puerto Vallarta Bay Area has gained a superstar with promises for more stellar entertainment.

More photos on my Facebook Shows group below.

Act II Entertainment - Seventh Season
The Starlight Cabaret
Insurgentes 300 [corner of Basilio Badillo and Insurgentes], second floor
Romantic Zone/SouthSide, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.
322-222-1512
Show info and tickets available online at www.act2pv.com
E-mail: act2entertainm...@gmail.com
The box office is open from 4 pm - 10 pm.

Gary R.Beck
More of Beck's Best: Theater, Cabaret and More!:

A Note from the management of Act2PV:
The Starlight Cabaret. THE ONLY OUTDOOR THEATER IN PUERTO VALLARTA.
As the world navigates its way through the changes that have occurred recently, Act2PV is very serious about protecting our clients, our staff and our entertainers!
In addition to observing all governmental requirements (Masks required, hand sanitizers, feet sanitizers, temperatures taken, etc.), Act2PV has implemented extra safety measures in our Main Stage theater, including ozone purifiers, ozone disinfectors, air purifiers and heppa filters. We will also be operating at 25% capacity, with some seats blocked off in order to follow governmental social distancing requirements. Your well-being is our #1 priority!
Have you heard the news? Live entertainment is back and better than ever in PV, with an all new space created just for you, an open air and socially distanced venue following every protocol to ensure your safety.
Come, and enjoy our wonderful shows UNDER THE STARS.
Danny Mininni, managing partner.

KevinAnthonyIILionel&Stevie21.1.jpeg
KevinAnthonyIILionel&Stevie21.4.jpg
KevinAnthonyIILionel&Stevie21.10.jpg