Brenda Gaviño: Linda Ronstadt: In My Voice

Gary R. Beck

Apr 17, 2021, 2:29:22 PM4/17/21
to PV GT Google, PV OT/SS IO Group, PV OT/SS Google
Brenda Gaviño
Linda Ronstadt: In My Voice

Dues to increased tickets sales as people are returning to see some of their favorite performers, Brenda extends her fine tribute to the beloved iconic singing star Linda Ronstadt whose genres stretched from pop and rock to blues, jazz, classical, country to r&b and Big Band with Nelson Riddle, Latin to easy listening. Sweet, lovely Brenda's successful run during this 'on again, off again' season has inspired the owners to offer her fabulous show into the springtime.

Brenda renders her own interpretation of fondly well-known tunes made popular by Linda Ronstadt. That singer won eleven Grammys, three American Music Awards, two Academy of Country Music Awards and an Emmy Award, underlining the diverse love of music by this superstar. Brenda is a classically trained singer and pianist who has headlined Mexican venues. She is a terrific singer exuding a friendly camaraderie with the audience.

She is Latin on her father's side of the family and she reminisces about singing together including songs her father sang. Her aptly named CD [with a follow up] is "Canciones de mi Padre" [Songs of my Father]. The first release sold more CDs in a foreign language than any other one ever released in the USA. A portion of her show honors her background and her father who taught and guided her from an early age.

Brendaa appeared in glorious sparkly diamond rhinestone spandex, starting with The Stone Poneys' in 1967 chart topper with "Different Drum". Fernando Uribe twinkled on the keyboard accompanying Brenda with great talent. Her journey led into the composition, "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me". The crowd swayed to the beat enjoying the fond memories of days gone past. The pace slowed for "It Doesn't Matter Anymore", a beautiful composition dripping with sadness. She bounced back with the peppy and catchy "It's So Easy" ["...to fall in love. Here I go breaking all the rules"]. Then she possessed "When Will I Be Loved" ["I've been put down. I've been pushed 'round"]. Both these tunes were plaintive and Brenda's voice reflected the sad anguish of desperately seeking love.

Brenda introduced the next number as her favorite of Linda's and sang a gorgeous "Long, Long Time", a classic song with a critical love of the music and vocals. Stunning. Linda loved to cover many genres dipping into blues, jazz and R&B. Motown was within her reach and Brenda saluted this musical area with "Heatwave" which sent the crowd into a body-moving response to the voice, lyrics and strong beat in her background. She said she wished to break this string of sadness and spout out with joy. So she sang Smokey Robinson's "Ooo Baby Baby", touching one's heartstrings smoothly and sweetly.

For the second act, Brenda, with a simple red flower flowing in her hair, entered dressed traditionally Mexican. Linda is Latin on her father's side of the family and Brenda reminisces about the family singing together including songs her father sang around the house in Tucson, Arizona when she learned many of the standard Mexican tunes [some brought from Sonora, Mexico]. She learned from her grandfather, aunt and father world-class traditional Mexican folk songs. Brenda was born and raised in Jalisco, so her music arises from slightly different neighboring roots.

Even though not deemed a possible commercial success by the record company, Linda insisted on presenting native music in Spanish to the world. In 1987, she recorded "Canciones de Mi Padre" ["Songs of My Father"] which included many of these tunes mixing mariachi, ranchera and charro. The release sold more CDs in a foreign language than any other one ever released in the USA. A portion of her show honors her background and her father who taught and guided her from an early age. She absorbed the mostly sad lyrics and sweet loving melodies. Brenda compared Latin music to darkness with some bright colors of pride and hope, so she chose a black dress embroidered with colorful small flowers.

Linda followed this smash top-seller with "Mas Canciones" in 1991. Both albums took the entire world by storm and spread interest in Mexican music. She sang numbers in Spanish from both albums and conducted a grand tour with famous mariachi across the United States. Brenda appeared in a casual outfit mirroring Linda's look. One song was "Tú Sólo Tú" {You, only you], also a smash hit for Selena. "La Cigarra" [The Cicada] is a well-known traditional song with Brenda higher and higher, exhibiting her wide vocal range. Although Linda lost her voice to illness, her outstanding music remains crossing generations of musical tastes. "Did you enjoy the Latin part of the show? Good, but it's over."

She continued the pop hits with The Eagles' "Desperado" - "Why don't you come to your senses". This tune has a Latin edge to it that fits Brenda's delivery entirely. "Blue Bayou" is a soft perfect song for Brenda, seated at the big red piano, to include in her song list becoming her signature entry which she absorbs and then emits as emotional longingness. The audience loved the presentation and gave her the top response of the evening. She soared to the farthest heights with clarity and precision. She delivered "Crazy", written by Willie Nelson and made by Patsy Cline into an all-star classic. She has the fine ability to reach high notes and hold and swirl.

Then she bounced back with a finale of the declaration "You're No Good". But 'Otra!' resounded through the rooms and she admitted that she and Fernando had not prepared an encore but would improvise for the crowd's pleasure. She said she had a lovely song for the attendees, not a Linda song, but one thought to be beautiful. From "Grease", she gave a marvelously touching "Hopelessly Devoted To You". Judging by tonight's accolades, she has paved her way in the theatrical and musical arena and has relaxed in her newly found adoration.

Produced by Act2PV.
Directed by Alfonso López.

More photos on the Facebook Shows group below.

Act II Entertainment - Red Room - Seventh Season
Insurgentes 300 [corner of Basilio Badillo and Insurgentes], second floor
Romantic Zone/SouthSide, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.
322-222-1512
Show info and tickets available online at www.act2pv.com
E-mail: act2entertainm...@gmail.com
The box office is open from 4 pm - 10 pm.

Gary R.Beck
More of Beck's Best: Theater, Cabaret and More!:

A Note from the management of Act2PV:
The Starlight Cabaret. THE ONLY OUTDOOR THEATER IN PUERTO VALLARTA.
As the world navigates its way through the changes that have occurred recently, Act2PV is very serious about protecting our clients, our staff and our entertainers!
In addition to observing all governmental requirements (Masks required, hand sanitizers, feet sanitizers, temperatures taken, etc.), Act2PV has implemented extra safety measures in our Main Stage theater, including ozone purifiers, ozone disinfectors, air purifiers and heppa filters. We will also be operating at 25% capacity, with some seats blocked off in order to follow governmental social distancing requirements. Your well-being is our #1 priority!
Have you heard the news? Live entertainment is back and better than ever in PV, with an all new space created just for you, an open air and socially distanced venue following every protocol to ensure your safety.

Come, and enjoy our wonderful shows UNDER THE STARS.
Danny Mininni, managing partner.
BrendaGaviñoLinda RonstadtInMyVoice21.2.jpg
BrendaGaviñoLinda RonstadtInMyVoice21.5.jpg
BrendaGaviñoLinda RonstadtInMyVoice21.1b.jpeg