Mamma Mia! - At The Cabaret

Gary R. Beck

Mar 17, 2021, 7:01:48 PM3/17/21
to PV OT/SS IO Group, PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google
Mamma Mia! will be leaving the Starlight Cabaret, Act2PV, soon.
So I thought I would remind or inform everybody about this so-fun mix of singing and dancing. Highly recommended.

Put away your thoughts and visit - getting relaxed and uplifted!

My thoughts from: February 21, 2021

Mamma Mia! At The Cabaret

Act2PV has recreated all of the fun and excitement of this Main Stage show from past seasons into a cabaret show in the brand-new, open-air theater on the roof, The Starlight Cabaret. A visit to this musical should be very high on all theater-goers' lists. Now you can sit blessed with steady breezes through the huge open 'windows' which allow city vistas and stars twinkling above your head. The venue's biggest ticket seller of all-time Mamma Mia! returns with many of the past cast in airy delight. ABBA tunes are featured in this London and Broadway show which enjoyed success all across the globe. Later, the stage show was adapted by the two men of ABBA into the 2008 jukebox musical romantic comedy film.

The remarkable cast of seven consists of Sharon Gerber Scherer, Marc Lopez, Stephanie Wright Watts, Miana Melendez, Ximena Peña Esparza, Edgar Román and Al Carswell. One by one they appeared in twos, threes, fours and then the entire group, all very well coordinated in their choreography.

Donna runs a taverna on a Greek island preparing for the wedding of her daughter Sophie who secretly invites, unbeknownst to her mother, three men from her mother's past planning that her real father visits and escorts her down the aisle on her big day. But which is the true father? "Honey, Honey" started the journey of life and music. "Money, Money, Money" [always sunny in a rich man's world] gave Sophie ideas but love was what she sought, from her fiancé and her soon-to-be-revealed father.

"Thank You for the Music" expressed a worldwide premise for without a song and a dance, what are we? The men swung the ladies all around, dipping and caressing. The remarkable costumes were solid bright colored acrylic pants, tops, capes and sleeves. All seven shone brightly through all their stylized movements. They broke into the title tune, "Mamma Mia!" attempting to get back her love after all of his mistakes. It is such a rousing song shaking up the plot. Her two good girlfriends attempt to assist her in the confusion and offered "Chiquitita" a shoulder to cry on. Mamma Donna even created her own pop group, "Donna and the Dynamos" who performed like the stars they are.

Roll out the dance floor as the cast burst into the sprite "Dancing Queen", a tune known to nearly everyone present. A highlight of the evening was "Lay All Your Love on Me" sporting superb on-key vocals and smooth phrasings. A beautiful performance of a terrific composition. Bodies started moving both on the stage and throughout the seatings with "Super Trouper", a stage star wishing for her lover. A rather comical "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! [A Man After Midnight]" followed with the hopes of chasing the shadows away.

Each of these songs: "Voulez Vous", "One of Us", "SOS" and "Does Your Mother Know" are standouts in any musical. Here they blend into a solid creation of memorable melodies marked by thoughtful lyrics. "Our Last Summer" was spent by two lovers in Paris surrounded by history and fascinating sights. A sad breakup is musically conveyed in "Slipping Through My Fingers". The lyrics touched one's heart and shoulders swayed from side to side with mystical feelings of remorse. The piano notes sound the arrival of the quite fine "The Winner Takes It All". This is a showstopper original. Lady voices peak high and crystal clear. The words are stunning and beautiful.

Begging him to loosen up and accept her attentions, she sang "Take a Chance on Me". "If you change your mind I'm the first in line." Prepping for her vows, Sophie declared "I Do I Do I Do". As everyone in the room, she confides that "I Have a Dream". Possibly the finest song of the musical, a solo turns to a chorus with revelling hopes for what lies ahead. "Waterloo" seems odd to include in this bridal storyline but she admits "I was defeated, you won the war. Promise to love you forever more."

As the cast completed the show and took turns taking bows and waves, a medley of previous songs played, as "Money, Money, Money" and "Mamma Mia!" and adding "The Name of the Game" and "When All Is Said and Done".

Mamma Mia! is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre international [MTI]. All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI, 423 West 55th Street, New York, NY 10019.
Do to their restrictions, no videos or photos are allowed except for what Act2PV posts on Facebook.

Director/Co-Producer Alfonso López.
Co-Producer Danny Mininni.
Choreography Edgar Román.
Technicals Lalas Heiquez.

Starlight Cabaret
Act2PV
Insurgentes 330, Colonia Emiliano Zapata, Romantic Zone, SouthSide, Puerto Vallarta.
322-222-1512
Tickets available at: http://www.act2PV.com
The Box Office is open daily 4pm-10pm.

A Note from the management of Act2PV:
The Starlight Cabaret THE ONLY OUTDOOR THEATER IN PUERTO VALLARTA.
As the world navigates its way through the changes that have occurred recently, Act2PV is very serious about protecting our clients, our staff and our entertainers!
In addition to observing all governmental requirements (Masks required, hand sanitizers, feet sanitizers, temperatures taken, etc.), Act2PV has implemented extra safety measures in our Main Stage theater, including ozone purifiers, ozone disinfectors, air purifiers and heppa filters. We will also be operating at 25% capacity, with some seats blocked off in order to follow governmental social distancing requirements. Your well-being is our #1 priority!
Have you heard the news? Live entertainment is back and better than ever in PV, with an all new space created just for you, an open air and socially distanced venue following every protocol to ensure your safety.

Come, and enjoy our wonderful shows UNDER THE STARS.
Danny Mininni, managing partner.

MammaMia!21.1.jpeg
MammaMia!21.2.jpeg